aznation

Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard - Presentation Plaque / Armor Plate Cut by Torch from Sunken USS Arizona

I just acquired this plaque not too long ago and thought it was very interesting.

The wood itself is 20" tall by 20" wide and is 3/4" thick.

The brass plaque which has the symbols and nomenclature of the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard on it is 12" round and 3/8" thick.

The triangular pieces of armor are about 2 1/2" tall and 4 1/2" long.

The entire plaque weighs in at a hefty 24 lbs.

The attached presentation on the plaque shows:

PRESENTED TO ROLAND G. ARNDT

BY WM "BILL" BENNETT

FEBRUARY 24, 1967

ARMOR PLATE FROM THE SUNKEN SHIP USS ARIZONA

CUT BY TORCH IN ATTEMPTED RESCUE OF CREW

PEARL HARBOR BAY, DECEMBER 7, 1941.

I've attempted to find the correct Roland G. Arndt and I think I may have but I can find nothing tying him specifically to why he would've received this plaque. As far as I've been able to find, he was a WWII Army Veteran.

I've also had absolutely no luck finding the correct Wm or William "Bill" Bennett that would have ties to the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard at or around the date the plaque would've been presented.

If anyone is able to find anything regarding either gentlemen or the plaque, please feel free to share the information with me. I'd appreciate it.

That said, if nothing else I love my newest acquisition and the fact that it contains pieces of the USS Arizona.

Hope you enjoy seeing it. Thanks...

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

>

g4.jpg

g5.jpg

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

That's pretty wild - never seen anything like it!

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thats awesome!!!! Could Mr Arndt be the son or brother of someone entomed in the Arizona?

WAG.

Dave

That is certainly a unique and historic plaque! Thank you for sharing the images!

Mike

Posted Yesterday, 07:44 PM

That's pretty wild - never seen anything like it!

I hadn't either Dave. I've seen where some larger segments of USS Arizona's armor have been donated to museums but I couldn't find any pieces like this presented to an individual. That's why when I saw it I jumped on it pretty quick.

Posted Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Thats awesome!!!! Could Mr Arndt be the son or brother of someone entomed in the Arizona?

WAG.

Dave

Hi Dave, so far I've not been able to find a person by that last name who was entomed in the USS Arizona. Still scratching my head on why Roland would've been presented the plaque and since Wm "Bill" Bennett is such a common name I doubt I'll be able to figure out exactly who he was and why/how he was involved in the presentation of the plaque.

Posted Today, 06:31 AM

That is certainly a unique and historic plaque! Thank you for sharing the images!

Mike

I'd say I haven't seen another like it for sure. You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Wow! Just Wow!

Mikie

Yeah, I know right...thanks Mikie!

I asked the person selling this if they had any background information on it and he advised me the only thing he knew was that he purchased the plaque from someone (don't know who) in The Villages, Florida. I checked and there's more than a few Arndt's who currently live in The Villages, FL. One of the Roland G. Arndt's I was looking at who's deceased lived in Michigan. I also noticed that some of the Arndt's who live in The Villages had previous addresses that showed they had once lived in Michigan. To my knowledge Roland G. Arndt Jr. did not show an address there in The Villages, so it's possible one of his relatives might've obtained the plaque from Roland at some point and sold it to the person I bought it from there in The Villages, Florida. Also, something to consider is the plaque may’ve belonged presented to Roland G. Arndt Jr.’s father who just went by Roland G. Arndt. I don’t have any background on Roland G. Arndt (Sr) and there’s very little background on Roland G. Arndt Jr. other than I know Roland Arndt Jr was a WWII Veteran.

Here's what I've been able to find on Roland G. Arndt Jr. I know also he was engaged as a glass worker and had a company called Arndt Glass Investment Co. there in Michigan.

h1.jpg

>

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

Thanks Mike. :)

I have a remote sight co-worker who lives in The Villages half the year. But he just moved back up to Connecticut 2 days ago.

Being a fan of the old British show The Prisoner for many years, not sure how I'd feel about living in a place called The Villages.

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Yesterday I found a phone number for the Pearl Harbor Navy Base Public Affairs Office and left a message for someone to call me back. A person actually called me back and I explained about the plaque and got an email address to send them pictures of it, which I did. I don't hold too much hope of getting any information regarding the plaque or the names thereon but you never know. I had to at least try. I'll let everyone if/when I hear anything back from them.

Hi aznation,

A recent web search came up with a William D. Bennett who was President of the Pearl Harbor Association around the time frame of the plaque presentation.

Not sure?... but I think the Pearl Harbor Association was the predecessor of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association???

New to this forum so I'm not sure how to post a link?

Just do a search and type: JFK Museum painting William Bennett.

Link describes an Arizona Memorial painting that was presented to JFK by the president of the Pearl Harbor Association, William D. Bennett, 20 June 1962.

Hi Moose,

By Golly, I think you're onto something there. After looking I do believe you've found the correct William Bennett whose name is on the plaque. I can't THANK YOU enough!!!!

I'll pass that information onto the person I emailed at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard which may assist them in some way to find out more.

From your information and a different search I found this. I may find even more.

Publication: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Issue Date: Wednesday, January 16, 1963

Page: 6

William D. Bennett, Federal Employee of the Year, displays his plaque of commendation.

Federal Employee Of the Year Named

The Federal Employee of the Year title was given yesterday to William D, Bennett, 55, a Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard group supervisor. Bennett was named at a luncheon at Ala Moana Banquet Hall attended by 160 representatives of Federal service departments. The luncheon was sponsored by the Honolulu Federal Business Association. He was one of 15 nominees selected by the various government agencies and honored yesterday. Bennett started in 1940 as a shipfitter at Pearl Harbor after 16 years of steel construction work on the Mainland. He is now group master in charge of production of 738 employees in shipfitting, forging, welding and boiler-making operations. He is president of the Pearl Harbor Association of Hawaii. Bennett was the 1962 director of Community Chest fund raising at the shipyard and originated the one-day concentrated drive method which was adopted by the campaign. He and his wife live at 847 Leighton Street. They have one son, William J., a Honolulu policeman.

http://www.sfsayc.com/sfsayc/cvan65-viiib.html

Note: Here's an instance of William Bennett presenting another type plaque.

Nonetheless, Enterprise required repairs exceeding $10 million to restore her to “pre-fire conditions,” and replacement costs for the aircraft lost totaled $44,109,442. The crew and workers at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard began immediate repairs to the ship. Pushing themselves hard, these men had Enterprise ready for sea in half the projected time, a point noted on 27 February 1969 by William D. Bennett, President, Pearl Harbor Association, who presented the crew with a plaque commemorating the rapport developed between the crew and shipyard workers.

>

g5.jpg

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

g4.jpg

Your welcome!

BTW: My grandfather was a Pearl Harbor stevedore and I remember him taking me to Pearl to see the USS Enterprise being repaired after the incident. As a young 9 year old I was amazed at the shear size of the ship!

Unfortunately, no sign of Captain Kirk... or was that a different Enterprise??? :blush:

That's pretty cool Moose. I've never seen a large Naval vessel but maybe one of these days. I can't imagine how big the USS Enterprise is if seeing it in person.

Oh, and Captain James Kirk must've been transferred from the USS Enterprise. He was the first commander of the U.S. Navy's guided missile destroyer, USS Zumwalt. I don't know if he's still commanding that vessel or not. :)

I just heard back by email from the Pearl Harbor Naval Yard and they weren't able to find any information on a Roland G. Arndt.

That being the case, here's the Roland G. Arndt that I believe the plaque was presented to although at this time I can't prove it. The reason I think it's this Roland G. Arndt is that number one he was a WWII veteran, and secondly that there are people with the last name Arndt that live in The Villages, FL (where the item was purchased from) that also have previous addresses at or very close to where Roland G. Arndt lived. I guess my next step, if I wanted to, is to try and contact some of them and see if they can tell me more. Of course, that can be a can of worms sometimes, so I don't know yet whether I will do that. However, I do think this is the correct Roland G. Arndt.

h1.jpg

>

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

UPDATE:

Well, I was incorrect about believing Roland G. Arndt Jr was who the plaque was presented to.

I couldn’t help not knowing, so I decided to try and call that person in The Villages, Florida, who I thought was a relative of Roland G. Arndt and actually got to talk to him. At first, the he was like, “Who’s this?!”, which I understand, but after I told him who I was and why I was calling, he readily shared information about Roland and the story about the plaque.

Evidently, the gentleman I called is the Step-Son of Roland G. Arndt (not Jr.) and he told me that Roland G. Arndt whose plaque it belonged to and to whom it was presented to was born in 1905. He said Roland G. Arndt Jr was one of Roland G. Ardnt’s son’s who was indeed in WWII but had nothing to do with the plaque that was presented to Roland G. Arndt, his father.

The Step-Son said that he had the plaque and was moving into a smaller place and there was a WWII history center or something like it there in The Villages, FL and he decided to take the plaque to them as he didn’t have room for it and thought they could use it for a display or something. Turns out that the place he took it to didn’t need or want it after accepting the plaque from him, so somehow it ended up on the marketplace, which is where I purchased it from. He didn’t seem to hold any hostility towards the history center for doing that.

Anyway, on to the story of how the plaque was obtained by Roland G. Arndt. He said that Roland and his wife Lottie had decided to go on vacation to Hawaii on a cruise ship back in 1967 and just relax. He didn’t say how long the pair were in Hawaii but that while there they were at a big luxurious dinner of some kind and that Roland had paid for dinner and drinks for William D. Bennett and perhaps others. Some time after getting back home from Hawaii, the plaque as previously described and shown arrived in the mail to Roland G. Arndt there in Michigan. I think we can only assume that Roland must’ve made an impression on Mr. Bennett and/or the fact that Mr. Bennett was trying to repay Roland back in kind for paying for his dinner and drinks.

In any case, I can say that I’m very happy to know the rest of the story behind both men mentioned on the plaque and the story of how it was received. I would like to thank the Step-Son for taking the time to talk with me about it and providing me information to fill in the big gap missing about the plaque. He left me with the impression that he was happy I now have the plaque and took the time and trouble to find out about it.

As the Step-Son said to me, “There’s no heroic story behind the plaque”, but to me personally there’s definitely a unique history and heroism behind what’s on the plaque, each of the objects on the plaque, and what they represent.

“Remember Pearl Harbor!”

Another great research project done. Bravo ! Good job well done. As Paul Harvey would say ,”Now for the rest of the story” you have completed the piece. Thanks for posting. Mike

donation2014.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif