Today's Memorial Day Parade

I loaded up my armored vehicle with a few vets for the parade. Unable to leave the Veterans building were a few WW2 vets, one wearing this. I am not familiar with a few lower ribbons. Impressive. post-180924-0-92193100-1559002057_thumb.jpeg

Some of these ribbons just make sense when worn together. They seem to indicate service starting in WWII, through a Korea, no Vietnam ribbons, Army and USMC good Conduct medals, and Army Service Ribbon plus Army Overseas Service Ribbon, both instituted in 1981. The Korean War Service Ribbon ( bottom row left) is in the wrong position. There ma be others out of order. I don’t know what the Ribbon is that is directly above the Overseas a Service Ribbon.

Something here just ain’t quite right.

That's what I intially thought, until I researched the vet, Harold Barber, some what of a legend. Joined the Marines at 15, Peliliue battle, etc... after the war switched to Army,....inducted to Ranger hall of fame, retired as a Major. The other surprise was another WW2 vet dressed only in t shirt and jeans....I will have his name in a few days....when the Japs invaded the Phillipines, his squad headed for the hills and he ended up training locals resisting the Japanese occupiers till the US regained the Phillipines...and the third vet I talked to was near where my father served in the 86th, Cologne , Ruhr Pocket area. All in all not bad for a quiet small town in Georgia called Senoia.post-180924-0-71766400-1559008153.jpegpost-180924-0-88702200-1559008168.jpeg

TheMariner

The last two rows of his ribbon bar have a number of ribbons there is no chance he was awarded maybe he thought he was but he was most certainly not! By last two I am not referring to the bottom Korean War bar but the two above it.

The United Nations medal most likely also was not an award he received, he would have received the Korean War version but not the later issued ribbon

Armed forces medal not awarded until 1991

Army Service medal - 1980s

Overseas Service Medal - 1981

These awards where not retroactive, I think one or two of them was by a couple years but not all the way back to this veterans service!

To be eligible for the CIB with star he would have had to have served in combat in 2 wars of the 3 he would have been able to serve in (WWII, Korea, Viet Nam). Since he was a Marine in WWII he would not have been eligible for a CIB so would have had to have earned his CIB with star for Korea and Viet Nam, which you indicate he did not serve in Viet Nam. The pictured ribbon rack does not have his USMC combat action ribbon on it as depicted in his portrait from WWII as a Marine.

He might have decided to "swap out" his USMC Combat action ribbon for a CIB on his own when he switched to the Army after WWII. That would "justify" the star on his CIB. The additional ribbons might have been added on by the vet since he thought he was eligible for them (overseas ribbon, Armed Forces medal etc)

Gary B

TheMariner

Someone needs to work with him to make some corrections! I doubt it was his intent to wear decorates he was not awarded but none the less there are a lot of issue with his uniform and a lot of things there he did not earn!

Someone needs to work with him to make some corrections! I doubt it was his intent to wear decorates he was not awarded but none the less there are a lot of issue with his uniform and a lot of things there he did not earn!

It would not be my place to correct the legends rack. Checking him out on the history channels interview, and numerous, countless events he has attended, ( many active army Ranger events) leads me to believe he was given , or " awarded" these by active army or other groups. Each one has a story to him I am sure. A few years back I met with a Tuskgee Airman who had questionable ribbons and medals. When I asked about them he said he was "given " some by the Army and events, he could not remember. His service record did not record what he wore, but at his age it was obvious some one else put together his uniform for him. Who would tell General Patton he could not wear ivory handled, non issue six shooters?

It would not be my place to correct the legends rack. Checking him out on the history channels interview, and numerous, countless events he has attended, ( many active army Ranger events) leads me to believe he was given , or " awarded" these by active army or other groups. Each one has a story to him I am sure. A few years back I met with a Tuskgee Airman who had questionable ribbons and medals. When I asked about them he said he was "given " some by the Army and events, he could not remember. His service record did not record what he wore, but at his age it was obvious some one else put together his uniform for him. Who would tell General Patton he could not wear ivory handled, non issue six shooters?

Patton carried numerous handguns, even a 3 1/2" barreled .357 mag......more:

https://www.guns.com/news/2011/06/17/the-known-and-lesser-known-carry-guns-of-george-s-patton

" Patton angrily responded that they were in fact ivory, and that, only a New Orleans pimp would carry a pearl-handled gun....."