Question on some 24th Infantry Division ssi

ScottG

All of these came from a vet of the Occupation of Japan from 46-48. What is the purpose of the regular army arc? 24th is an RA unit so was it a personal designation? Scott

post-104832-0-29189100-1558937528_thumb.jpg

post-104832-0-88720900-1558937546_thumb.jpg

As far as I know it just to show they are regular army, and not the national guard.

That would make sense to me if we saw the arc above a reserve or guard ssi, but the 24th is and has always been a regular army unit... So, that's what isn't making any sense to me. Thanks, Scott.

Hi Scott

The Regular Army tab was unauthorized and used from the early 50's, this was to designate,RA soldiers who were assigned to NG units during the Korean war.

I believe it was short lived as it had a negative connotation RA v NG.

So this was added to at some stage by the veteran as a keep sake.

The far right 24th looks Japanese made, Korean era.

Phill

Thanks so much! This vet served from 46-48 so perhaps as you say he picked up the arc later... Scott

I've seen these in groups and on uniforms from the occupation period before, so 46-48 seems fine.

There is more to it than RA vs NG. At the time, to be considered "Regular Army" means that you voluntarily enlisted, rather than being Drafted. A point of pride, and thus the unauthorized tab. They do however seem to show up most often with soldiers who served in NG units that were federalized during the Korean War.

I've seen these in groups and on uniforms from the occupation period before, so 46-48 seems fine.

There is more to it than RA vs NG. At the time, to be considered "Regular Army" means that you voluntarily enlisted, rather than being Drafted. A point of pride, and thus the unauthorized tab. They do however seem to show up most often with soldiers who served in NG units that were federalized during the Korean War.

Thanks! Scott

The REGULAR ARMY tab first came out in 1946?

The REGULAR ARMY tab first came out in 1946?

All I know is that the veteran served from 46-48 with his basic training at Ft Bragg and then duty in the occupation of Japan. We have a fairly large grouping of his items to include his fully patched Ike with 34th Rgt dui's and ribbons etc... as well as many items in a trunk. The 24th ssi and the Regular Army arc came out of the trunk. He certainly has a few items that bear further research. There is a beautiful silver and enamel 11th Airborne cigarette case and a set of Japanese made jump wings. These were separate and the wings were not on his uniform, so did he attend jump school? I don't know but his Son has no memories of the Father ever talking about it.

It all came over from the vets estate from the Son and there is a lot of paperwork from the ship he sailed home on as well as menu's and other unit stuff. All is for the 34th Rgt which as already stated was a RA unit. So, I do like the explanation of draftee vs. voluntary enlistment as to why he may have had this. Perhaps he got it stateside when he was being discharged? Maybe even from the px or off base? We will likely never know for sure, I was just wondering about it because he was clearly in a RA unit. Thanks to everyone for the answers. Scott