unknown Squadron Patch

Adrian6256

Adrian6256

Hello, I recently picked up a group of patches. I was able to identify the pilot training Squadron out of Texas, but the others are mysterious to me. The polar bear patches are similar to the AEF patches but I don't think that is what these are. Any help in identifying these would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

post-158668-0-42293400-1558918214_thumb.jpg

John Conway

The Black panther is the 541st Airborne infantry regiment. Looks WW2 era but the in crowd will have to confirm if it was of a style and construction that was actually worn by the unit. I'm guessing this is a made for collectors example but not my expertise.

The 3645 Pilot Training Sq. is for B Flight of the 3645 PTS. It was at Laughlin AFB, TX, flying T-37s. Here's the squadron patch the flight was a part of. Both are 60s era.

Randy

post-8832-0-97148000-1558927008.jpg

Adrian6256

John, thank you so much for identifying this patch for me, I was thinking it was a squadron patch, but the fact that its undersized was throwing me off.

Adrian

Adrian6256

Randy, thats awesome info. Im glad that it is from my home state, do you think its 1960s? I wasnt sure if it was a more modern patch.

Adrian,

Adrian6256

Wake1941, I had no idea it was airborne until you pointed that out. Thank you for your help.

Adrian

Randy, thats awesome info. Im glad that it is from my home state, do you think its 1960s? I wasnt sure if it was a more modern patch.

Adrian,

Yes, that looks like a 60s era patch by the construction. In 1972 the 3645 PTS was redesignated the 85 Flying Training Sq. with the same mission. They even kept the same B Flight patch and added the new designation.

Randy

post-8832-0-05600000-1558989336.jpg

John Conway

You're welcome sir! Surprised we don't have any input from the Airborne pros!

John, thank you so much for identifying this patch for me, I was thinking it was a squadron patch, but the fact that its undersized was throwing me off.

Adrian