Ike Jacket w/ GHQ & Pacific Command Bullion Patches

JasonT

I thought I would share this Ike I picked up earlier today at an antique shop. Unfortunately, although it has a laundry number, there was no name associated with it and all the pinned insignia was removed. However, even though this isnt something I would normally take a second look at, I knew I had to get it because of the beautiful bullion patches that came with it, plus the price they were asking for the jacket made it a deal I couldn't resist.

The jacket comes with the following bullion patches - overseas bars, meritorious service, GHQ and Pacific Command.

I can figure out the value of all of these easy enough on Ebay, except for the Pacific Command. Anyone have an idea on what it's worth? Like I said, this isnt something that really fits in my collection so I may decide to sell or trade it.

post-154340-0-98095700-1558909479_thumb.jpg

Close up of the meritorious service patch, which from some quick research appears to be Japanese made.

post-154340-0-16616200-1558909581_thumb.jpg

Close up of the GHQ bullion patch. Both the GHQ and the Pacific Command have a wonderful quilted background that I always felt make the patch look really sharp.

post-154340-0-71246900-1558909720_thumb.jpg

Close up of the Pacific Army Command bullion patch. Like I said I would be curious as to the value of it. I couldn't find a similar one on either Ebay or Google search.

post-154340-0-22353000-1558909822_thumb.jpg

Very nice bullion patches on that one. I like GHQ items, but that Pacific Command patch takes the cake. Nice pickup!

Thanks guys, apparently the seller had it sitting there for a while and was all too happy to just get rid of it.

CNY Militaria

What is the laundry number? That combined with the geographical area it came from may result in the positive ID of the vet.

The laundry number is F-6208. The jacket was found in Plymouth, MA. A search of the WW2 enlistment directory website gives me two matches for MA veterans. However, one has an enlistment date of April '46 and the other shows a birth date of 1932. Either one could be a mistake, so I'll dig deeper on each. I also know that the website is incomplete so there could be another out there. Or the jacket could have originally come from out of state...

wildcat123

Dont be thrown off by the 46 date... it could be reenlistment date. My wifes grandpa appears that way on NARA website. Joined in 44 and reenlisted in 46.

Well, it appears I have been able to eliminate one of the two listed MA vets - the one with a birth date of 1932 is actually 1923. He died in 1996 and according to Find A Grave he served in the Air Corps and was a 2nd Lt.

Dont be thrown off by the 46 date... it could be reenlistment date. My wifes grandpa appears that way on NARA website. Joined in 44 and reenlisted in 46.

Thanks! I hadn't thought that it could be a reenlistment date. Come to think of it, I have a helmet liner that is named that had a '46 date on NARA that I thought was a postwar vet because I couldn't find anything else...guess I need to revisit that someday soon...

I searched the other name that came up in NARA (the one with the '46 enlistment date) and think I have found my match.

Charles L Faltin from Hanson, MA who sadly just died this past April 4th.

Here is a portion of his obituary;

Charles L. Faltin Jr., 91 of Hanson. Died on April 4, 2019 at South Shore Hospital in Weymouth. Charles was born on October 16, 1927 in Newark, NJ to the late Charles and Mary (Szilega) Faltin. He was raised and educated in Boston and was a graduate of Commerce High School in 1945. Chuck was the loving husband of the late Francis (Pereau) Faltin. Fran was the love of Chucks life.

After high school, Chuck joined the United States Army where he served under General MacArthur in the Pacific Theater at the end of WWII. After the military he spent his career as a Medical Project Director for many major companies. Including Damon and Johnson and Johnson.

Chuck and Fran created beautiful porcelain pieces and started their own business- Kafa Porcelain. They designed molds, and perfected the porcelain process. Chuck was in charge of pouring and firing and Fran was the master painter. Christmas ornaments, nativity sets, lamps, and dishes were some of their specialities. Their work was also featured at the Plymouth Plantation gift shop.

BILL THE PATCH

Man that is great research, also a picture of the soldier himself. Doesn't get any better than this.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments, I will have to go and order his files and will probably try to add back his ribbon bars and collar devices to restore the uniform.

• 1 month later...

Fellow forum member 2ndInf.Div was able to get his records and confirmed that Charles Faltin did indeed serve in GHQ. Matt will be sending me over the files this week. Matt was great to work with as always and recommended.

• 2 weeks later...