A Young Collectors makeshift War Room-WWII

Hey everyone, getting back from school for the summer really got me wanting to finally rearrange my room and displays and I think I’ve finally found a way that I’m really happy with. I still live with the folks so all I have to play with is just my bedroom, however, I think I’ve tried to make the most of the space I have been given. There’s still stuff in closets that I’ll have to rotate on display until I can get my own place with a larger area for display.

Also, I can’t help anything about the window but I tried putting most of my uniform behind the other displays and thus out of the light. I leave the blinds closed whenever I am out and only open them when viewing or showing the collection.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still figuring out this wall

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The mannequin is set up for the overcoat which belonged to a captain of the 115th, 29th Division. He used both a Garand and Carbine at different points in the war so right now I just have it set up for a Garand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard              ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR                  ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID       WWI                WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co.           WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID    WWII              WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70                     WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div         Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div     Vietnam

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex,

What a solid collection and well displayed despite your space constraints.

I also like the way that you have a short ID attached to each uniform as a reference. I have been trying to figure out the best way to ID mine. For now I have a PowerPoint presentation that has multiple photos of each uniform along with a written description of the insignia, etc. and a brief bio of the soldier. I have a printed copy of the PPT in a binder that I keep handy in the room. May take your approach in combination with the long form of the PPT.

Nicely done.

Good job. You have the right ideas, and a good eye.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

Looking good Alex, you some quality stuff there.

If you need help researching or possibly adding to what you may already have on that 45th ike shoot me a p/m

RJ

RJ

Always looking for WWII era 45th Infantry related items

"Semper Anticus"

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Thank you all very much for the nice comments! I’ve been collecting for about 3 years now and I’m pretty happy with how it’s come along, I’ve just always wanted to display the items of these men to do them the proper justice and I think it’s finally starting to get there.

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

Looks great, you have some good items and you have displayed them well. .Texas T group looks like a good piece. Congrats

Thanks! The grouping belonged to my great grandfather, PFC Delmer Koonter. He got in at the tail end of the Italian campaign and was a replacement a few days into Operation Dragoon. He served with the division until the end of the war and was shot through both legs by an MG42 in the town of Selestat, France in December. He returned to the division in February or March. We found a ton of his items in my grandfathers basement and so I turned my old entertainment center into a display. His photos and bringbacks are in a separate case and his Purple Heart is still with my grandfather.

And to Eaglerunner88, I collect 36th Division items on the side because of the attachment I have with my g grandfather serving and being wounded with the unit. I found the clogs on eBay coming from an estate.

7572e96bc29debb8c225e4f28791d309.jpg

Nice collection. Is the 29th Division Capt. tunic ID'd? Dave

Yes and it is one of my favorite pieces, it actually goes with the overcoat on the mannequin which also belonged to the same man. It’s a private purchase (Smith-Gray, New York) Doeskin Jeep coat that belonged to Captain William Kennedy who landed with C company, 115th IR on D-Day, becoming CO two weeks later, until October when he transferred to command of B company. He was awarded the SSM, 2 BSMs, 2 PHs, and a French Cross De Guerre w oak leaves and a Belgian one with a star. He was a local from Georgetown, KY, and his estate went up for auction back in January. It was absolutely chuck full of stuff, medals, field gear, patched m43 jackets, bringbacks, and much more. Unfortunately it all went for thousands of dollars and all I was able to get were his Officer doeskin Jeep coat and his Officer Melton overcoat. I was just happy to have something from such an outstanding Kentucky veteran.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alex, that's a great collection you have there! It all looks very thorough and organized quite well. Not bad for only 3 years of collecting! I know you said you only have the bedroom to diaplay items - be thankful you even have that! Enjoy it while you can, things may change when your older and get married or have kids. Some are stuck with just a closet or a few bookshelves. You could look back and be envious of the time you "only" had a entire bedroom to display lol. Anyway, it all looks awesome and you have some great items.

Absolutely great job with the arrangement of items for the space you have! Really good job.

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

Very nice!

20+ years ago, I brought my fiancee back to my parents house and she freaked out at the mannequins in my bedroom. Her one request is that we didn't have mannequins in our bedroom when we were married...I agreed. 20 years later, we're still good and I couldn't be happier. :)

Anyway...enjoy your collection, it looks great!!!

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 1 month later...

Very beautiful collection and display! Got any info on that 45th Infantry Uniform?

Looking for:

First World War 339th Infantry Regiment Uniforms

First World War and Interwar Austrian Uniforms, Insignia, and the like

Second World War Sicilian Campaign Named Uniforms (3rd and 45th Infantry Divisions)

Second World War Italian Army Uniforms (4th Infantry Livorno and 12th Infantry Sassari Divisions)

Them uniform labels,....now that's classy  B)!

Joe

Thanks! It is a system I devised a few months ago to display some basic info alongside my uniforms. Usually includes name, years of service, unit, awards, and campaigns. I keep the full records on my computer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image