New York Conspicuous Service Cross WW2 ?

Roystone

Would anyone be able to help me with this one?

I recently acquired an NY CSC #1121, which purportedly is to Captain Alfred A Weiss, 161st Infantry. His NY index card checks out to this number, the date of "issue" given on his card is March 5 1946. What I failed to notice ( I must pay more attention and get new glasses!) is that this cross is of course a modern issue...

My question would be, could this cross be a modern very late issue? Or possible a replacement?

Or, do the index cards not necessarily mean a medal was issued on that date on the card?

Last musing on this would be that this dates from an entirely different, modern set of issue numbers, and is not anything to do with Capt AA Weiss at all?!

Can anyone help,

cheers

Roy

post-154642-0-86079500-1558861110.jpg

You are correct.

WW II era crosses were sterling silver and appropriately hallmarked. I believe those were manufactured by Tiffany's.

I suspect this is an original issue because of the number stamped on the bottom. If it was a replacement there would not be a number.

I believe the state military museum has records where you could identify the issue date by the number.

The Conspicuous Service Cross is a unique military decoration. It was created by an act of the state legislature. In the era of the late 1980s and early 1990s, the crosses were cheaply manufactured and can be identified by a thin chromed finish medallion with no lettering on the reverse. The ribbons would soil and fade with age. Many veterans would refer to the decoration rather derogatorily, so the remanufacture resulted in the medal you displayed.

Medalman90

Here are some observations of the makers of the NY CSC over the years.

Sterling Silver;

1920-1930: Tiffany & Co.

1930-1940: Digers & Clust.

1945-1946: Bastian Brothers.

1946-1967: American Emblem (A&E).

Not Sterling Silver;

1967-?: Graco.

Your CSC isn’t the #1121 issued in 1946. The numbering restarted in the early 2000s. As far as i know with the new medals. they can only be traced by the award document presented with the cross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for the information in the posts..it kind of confirms my worst fears!

Back to the drawing board with this one. But the NY CSC still remains a favorite and is very underrated.

Very best to all

I suspect that the March 5, 1946 date is the date of the source document, probably a WGO-55 form documenting an honorable discharge.

It shouldn't be a cause for alarm because this is part of one veteran's military service and individual history.

However, if you want one of the original CSCs, I have what I believe to be a WWII-related CSC medal planchet without suspension ribbon.

You are more than welcome to it. PM your address.

The more recent examples of this medal are poorly made and look cheap, with a chrome-looking finish and a three-ring suspension like a high school track medal. The older ones are nicely frosted and the very old ones are heavier and sterling. Rarely found are nice quality miniatures. (The new miniatures are horrible but also oddly rare.)

Medalman90

the NY CSC still remains a favorite and is very underrated.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk