WW I Military Home Guard

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Franco, my forum message box was full and wouldn't accept any new messages. I just deleted a number of the older messages so you should have no trouble sending a message now.

MP25, I always thought that it was okay for State and Home Guard units to wear federal buttons on the military uniforms that they were authorized to wear. My understanding has always been that they were not authorized to wear military rank chevrons or military branch of service insignia. However, I am prepared to modify my position on that pending further (or better) research as I have not looked into the aspect of whether or not U.S. military buttons were authorized.

Anyway, here is one of the other two suspected WW I era Home or State Guard images that I have. This one is thought to be from the Colorado State Guard because of the initials "CO" above the rifles on the collar disc. I suppose that those initials could also represent any city beginning with those two letters, such as Columbus, Ohio or Concord Massachusetts.

World War I Nerd - I have not seen any regulations specific to buttons. I just assumed that all Federal insignia of any kind (including buttons) was unauthorized for Home Guard units. Since most HG units were equipped from supplies in local National Guard Armories, their uniforms often had state seal buttons. Most larger communities purchased buttons and insignia specific to their unit. The idea was to separate HG and State Guard units from any affiliation with Federal or State Government to prevent their being called into Federal service. Again, the primary function of these guard units was more to support the police in times of emergencies, as the Nation Guard had done. In 1919 only a couple of states had State Police. Local police departments depended on the National Guard for support when needed. The federalization of National Guard units left the police without backup. That is why these guard units were created.

I think the CO above the crossed rifles is most likely Colorado.

Posted Today, 08:32 PM

he kind of looks like one of the Little Rascals Gang, interesting photo

Yes, I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it. I thought it looked an awful lot like Alfalfa, except a little older and with glasses. Funny....

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

Here is my contribution. Because of the rimless button, I thought it might be an early National Guard coat, but now I am leaning towards it being state militia. It it identified, but I have never been able to find anyone by the name of Chester Hennington who has an association to Indiana. Unfortunately, the collar disks are not original to the coat.

post-203-0-24088100-1560012968.jpg

post-203-0-98918000-1560012974.jpg

post-203-0-55052700-1560012983.jpg

Michigan had the Michigan State Troops which are the predecessor to the Michigan State Police. They were formed in 1917 and were still the State Troops into WWII and of course are still the MSP today. Somewhere I have a yard long of a mounted unit as well as ssi from them. Uniforms were basically specific to the locality and what was available. Scott

Should have added that we now have the Michigan Volunteer Defense Force which falls under the Department of Military and Veteran Affairs of the Michigan National Guard. Scott

Charlie Flick

An interesting discussion.

I have a peculiar web/sewn 10 pocket cartridge belt for the M1903 Springfield Rifle. It has rimmed snaps on it which bear the insignia/seal of the State of New York. I think it is a NY State Guard or militia belt from WW1. Sorry, I don't have any pics of it handy right now, but it is illustrated in Steve Dorsey's book on US Military Belts.

Regards,

Charlie

About 20 years ago I bought this in Brenham TX. It is named in the sleeve with a German surname and I believe the man was out of Shiner TX. By the T collar emblem I understand it would have been a train detachment. The large buttons have the federal eagle while the small buttons on the epualettes and pockets are a star with TEXAS around the perimeter between the points of the star. Not sure if it is Texas Guard, National Guard, State Guard? Any ideas? I have posted after I first got it but no one seemed sure. Any ideas? No insignia on it. Sorry for the crappy pictures

post-8015-0-06531200-1560342261.jpegpost-8015-0-20115400-1560342279.jpeg