WW I Military Home Guard

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Is this image of a "Police" badge wearing man/soldier wearing what appears to be WW I era army clothing a member of the Army Military Police, the National Guard Police, the State Guard or does he belong to an entirely different civil or non-military organization?

Clothing wise, he's wearing a white linen neck stock under what looks like a "stand" collar as found on the 1911 and later pattern army issued service coats. Over that is a 1909 (or earlier) pattern army issued overcoat with turn back cuffs, and a 1911 Campaign Hat sits atop his head. The lower third of the photo is too dark to determine what pattern of shoes, or leggings, or puttees, he's wearing.

The only equipment is the baton or "billy club", which could or could not be military issued. To date, I've not found any information regarding an army issued baton, billy club, or night-stick.

The only insignia is the silver, shield shaped badge, which clearly has the word "POLICE" stamped or engraved across its top. There is additional writing under the word police, but it is illegible.

So, who exactly in the WW I era military, would wear a badge, as opposed to an MP Brassard, proclaiming he is a military law enforcement official?

If not military, what sort of civil organization might this guy belong to?

Thanks for looking ... World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-35306100-1558818684_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

And an enlargement of the "police" badge.

Does anybody recognize this badge or know who would wear it?

post-5143-0-56574200-1558818790_thumb.jpg

WWI NERD - I think he is Home Guard. The badge and being armed only with

a club is a very good indication.

world war I nerd

Thanks everyone, for your input ... so far.

You've all mirrored my thoughts that he may have possibly been a Quartermaster warehouse (or other military installation, or public works) guard, or a member of the home guard. I don't however, recall seeing home guard volunteers wearing badges. But then again, I've only seen a handful of home guard photos and there were home guard units in every state, many counties and and a number of cities ... each one with it's own unique insignia too.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/318944-military-police-badges/

WWI Nerd - check out the above there are at least four Home Guard badges posted

and I have several photos of Home Guard wearing badges in my collection. It is important

to remember that Home Guard in WWI was basically to support local police and provide

security during times of emergencies. Home Guard during WWII was for national defense.

world war I nerd

MP25, many thanks for the two links. I'd seen the thread about the Cincinnati Home Guard and totally forgot about it. Thanks again for redirecting me and my memory.

By the way, you have an astonishing collection of military police militaria!

Buttons appear to be pre 1912 rimless type. I would think Home Guards might well have been issued obsolete uniform parts.

G

Home Guard were very often issued obsolete uniforms and accoutrements - what ever

was available in local armories.

world war I nerd

MP25, I always thought that it was okay for State and Home Guard units to wear federal buttons on the military uniforms that they were authorized to wear. My understanding has always been that they were not authorized to wear military rank chevrons or military branch of service insignia. However, I am prepared to modify my position on that pending further (or better) research as I have not looked into the aspect of whether or not U.S. military buttons were authorized.

Anyway, here is one of the other two suspected WW I era Home or State Guard images that I have. This one is thought to be from the Colorado State Guard because of the initials "CO" above the rifles on the collar disc. I suppose that those initials could also represent any city beginning with those two letters, such as Columbus, Ohio or Concord Massachusetts.

post-5143-0-44783000-1559491267_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Close up of the above collar disc and brassard. By the way, it's really difficult to tell, but I think this coat has bronze eagle buttons.

post-5143-0-48402400-1559491317_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

This guy's insignia is comprised of Mass. state guard collar brass and either the numeral 11, the Roman numeral II, or the letter "H" for Home Guard. He's also wearing captains' rank insignia on his shoulders and a some sort of Mass. state brassard. His buttons do have the Mass. state seal on them, not the federal eagle.

post-5143-0-50188600-1559491470_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Finally, this uniform, which was downloaded years ago from a now unknown website. It is a service coat worn by a member of the Cranford New Jersey Home Guard. The Cranford Home Guard was apparently an offshoot of the New Jersey Militia State Reserve.

post-5143-0-24187500-1559491895_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Each of t his coat's buttons bear what I'm guessing is the state seal of New Jersey and the collar displays a New Jersey Reserve collar disc.

It is unknown what the blue cuff band represents ... possibly rank or district or something like that?

post-5143-0-37657100-1559492123.jpg

BlueBookGuy

hello WW I nerd,

maybe not the correct place but I'd wish contacting you on PM - it looks like it's impossible, tried twice. Please can you give me any tips?

Thanx - Franco.