Memorial Day 2019 Update on the Posthumous Purple Heart Book

Dave

For this Memorial Day weekend, I thought I'd give an update on the posthumous Purple Heart book I've been working on since 2015.

Some background: What I set out to do was create a book that would both provide a reference about the Purple Heart as a medal, but more importantly, as the last physical symbol of one man's or woman's ultimate sacrifice for our nation.

I photographed about 1,600 Purple Hearts and associated medals as well as scanned thousands of photos and documents ranging from WW2 to the present Global War on Terror. I had a signed contract with Schiffer Publishing (who published my previous book, Blue Seas, Red Stars in 2015) for a multi-volume set of books about posthumous Purple Hearts. Volume 1 was to be about the medals from WW2 and Volume 2 would cover the Korean War to the present. I completed Volume 1 and submitted it for publication.

After sitting on my completed book for 18 months, Schiffer decided not to publish it as they didn't feel there was sufficient market for the book. I (obviously) disagreed, but there's not much that could be done about that. Thus, the manuscript sat on my desk for about a year as my new job gave me very little time for anything hobby-related.

Having a little bit of time available while transferring, I decided to put Volume 1 of the book together myself and in so doing, at least have a completed digital manuscript.

Right now, save for final editing (a HUGE thank-you goes out to a couple of members here who are going through the book, line by line and making sure it reads well!) the book is ready to go. I'm what they'd call "two-thirds published"...I'm willing, I have the book...but I'm lacking a publisher. :D

I'm exploring different options currently. I'm looking at a couple of self-publishing houses, and have queries out to see what kind of quality they can produce, to include a test hard-copy proof. Schiffer officially released me of the contract, so I can go with another publisher...but it's a matter of finding another publisher who can produce the book to the quality I want (I have one willing publisher, and they are great people, but I'm not a fan of the feel of their books. And before anyone asks, Roger Bender does have a copy of the completed manuscript, but has not made a decision on publishing it). The book format is 6x9 and 580 pages long - roughly the same size and format of the Call of Duty book for comparison.

So that's where my book currently stands for everyone who's wondering. :) I'd love to have the book ready to go by the 2020 Show of Shows, but with my upcoming job, I don't know if I will be there or not. We will see.

Once things firm up with a publisher and release date, I will most certainly let everyone know.

In the meantime, I am attaching some randomly selected screen shots of pages from the book. These are still subject to final editing, but I wanted to provide a glimpse of what's in store when it finally does get released.

Dave

screenshot_067.JPG

screenshot_068.JPG

screenshot_069.JPG

screenshot_070.JPG

Wow Dave thanks for sharing. The samples provided look fantastic. I don’t know what Schaffer is thinking, I would buy this book in about a nanosecond. I hope you find a publisher of high quality....and soon. Good luck!

Rakkasan187

Dave,

Incredible.. Just like your last book.. I can't wait to get a copy and spend hours looking through the pages...

My checkbook is standing by...

Leigh

uscollector

That looks like a great book and a fine tribute to the Purple Heart recipients who made the ultimate sacrifice. I wish you success in finding a publisher that will do it justice.

stealthytyler

Nice work sir. If all else fails, would you consider self publishing on Amazon In digital format only? Good luck and great work!

Fantastic book and It sure looks like a must have resource. Maybe we should start letter writing campaign to get it published.

can't wait get a copy. Mark

Outstanding, Dave. Good luck on finding the right publishing solution...…… and I know you will! Semper Fi - Bob

pmargulies

Very disappointing to hear they won’t be publishing and I only hope you find a publisher who can produce to the same level as your last book.

Schofield1943

Hey I recognize one of those! I seriously can't wait for this to be available - best of luck finding a good publisher. As someone who has been there and gone through a similar situation I can sympathize. Looks absolutely terrific Dave.

Kurt Barickman

Good luck Dave and hopefully a publisher will be found; recognize one of those examples!

Kurt

Dave,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will work out for all concerned. Thanks for the preview of what's to come when it finally does.

Randy

Well, I know I am one of a very few here in the Netherlands, but WOW, and again W O W....... where can I subscribe to this book.

Please put this into print Dave asap. Count me in for a copy. With a personal note if possible.

I really love your Blue seas, Red stars book which is sitting in my bookshelf after reading it several times.

Please keep us updated.

Regards

Herman

Thanks all! I really appreciate the kind words. My goal is to make this the best book possible to memorialize those who lost their lives in the service of our country as well as show the non-collecting community that we as collectors actually take these seriously - and are willing to put in the effort to remember these men and women. Posthumous Purple Hearts aren't just beanie babies meant for training, but are something to be honored and respected for what they represent. My sincere hope is that my book relays that to the reader.