I have aquestion about ww2 Variable Density Goggles.. Please help.

The Rooster

The Rooster

Greetings all.

In pouring over the many pairs of variable density goggles on I PAY, I have noticed

that there are a ton of examples that have the adjustment knob in fron and the flip up braket to hold the red lenses...

Then they are just a few that do not have the flip up bracket and they just have the knob in front to darken the view...

And then scarcer still.... in fact there were only2 that had no flip up bracket and no knob but instead had a horizontal lever at the top front that slides over and darkens or lightens the view. One is for sale from protugal

Here is the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROTOTYPE-AO-1943-VARIABLE-AXIS-WW2-Goggles-Vintage-Pilot-Aviation-PROJECT-S-459/222286868188?hash=item33c1546edc:g:0JwAAOSwLnBX6-pN

$390.00 !

Do you think what the seller says is true? Rare Prototypes???

Well they are rare I'l atest to that but Prototypes???

Here is the normal pair most of us are familiar with.....

post-181333-0-78525700-1558761119_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

Then there are this type with just the knob... There are several of these... Same green box that they all seem to come in.

post-181333-0-31263000-1558761413.jpg

The Rooster

And then there is this from the seller in portugal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROTOTYPE-AO-1943-VARIABLE-AXIS-WW2-Goggles-Vintage-Pilot-Aviation-PROJECT-S-459/222286868188?hash=item33c1546edc:g:0JwAAOSwLnBX6-pN

So the question is... are these in fact rare prototypes ???

I dont know.. But.....

post-181333-0-87653200-1558761532_thumb.jpg

post-181333-0-20524600-1558761543_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

.... But...................... here is what looks to be a twin to the rare prototype in the only Blue box Ive seen to hold a pair of variable density goggles.

And for a whole lot less than the rare one from portugal. These are a barn find from California and even after I explained their potential rarity.. to the seller

who told me they were worth way more than they were asking for the opening bid,,, the seller sold them to me for a song.

they didnt seem to be impressed... some folks just do not care about these things.

So what do you think?

Rare bird? Is the one from Portugal worth that much when obviously they made it into production? I think any ways?

Opinions if you lke please.

Thank you!

post-181333-0-28091500-1558761958_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

What I am asking is that a contrived protoype tag and box? And Im sure not going to

purchase the pair for 390 but I was wondering if anyone can tell f its really a prototype?

Seeing as how there was only one pair for sale other than the prototype. So its safe to assume this is a rare type.

Im thinking.

The Rooster

Have a great holiday everyone although I cannot bring myself to say happy holiday this weekend

like its any other because it sure is not. Its too solemn.

God bless all of our countrymen and Women who gave their lives for us.

You cant give anymore than that.

The Rooster

https://www.pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_78.html

This link will tell you everything.

Cheers,

Jerry

Holy Cow!!! Thank you Jerry!

Bottom: A similar goggle, not to be confused with our subject. The Single Axis Rotable Goggle, stock number R37-G-3522, was an item exclusive to naval aviation with an N288s-17822 contract number. It will be found in a similar box, painted blue. Per the Catalog of Aeronautical Materials, it is "For lookouts only. To be used for anti-submarine patrol. Adjusts to three positions." Lens adjustment is via a slide, rather than a control knob.

da9ad07a80e5fc6cc6bc1f6850e6295a_658l.jp

That explains why there are not that many.

Thank you very much Jerry !!!

The Rooster

Fantastic site! So the flip up red lenses equiped goggles that are so plentiful are for Army ground troops and most likely made their way into the aircorps from there. And all these other types were used by the Navy. Thank you again Jerry! Also that one picture of the avnger crew where the gunner was killed in his turret and they buried him at sea inthe plane... There is motion picture footage of that which is appropriate to see on this memorial day weekend.

9c5c0477f08f2eb30a5e0e37af0b5ff8_yukl.jp

Above: Aboard U.S.S. Essex, in November of 1944, a TBM-1C Avenger crew from VT-15 poses beside their plane prior to takeoff for a strike on the Philippine Islands. From left to right is radioman Digby Denzel, pilot Robert Cosgrove and, with V.D. goggles, gunner Loyce Deen. Tragically, Deen was killed a few days later on November 5th when their plane attacked an IJN cruiser in Manila Bay, sustaining a direct anti-aircraft hit on the turret, which killed him instantly. Despite the heavy damage, the pilot brought the plane in for a successful landing aboard Essex. This photo and more information can be found at the Aircraft Carrier Photo Archive http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/09.htm. Thanks to reader Jerry K. for the "heads-up" and link.

pararaftanr2

Rooster77,

The goggles you show with the tag are indeed a "prototype", or shop sample, from Polaroid. They used those tags to note the various modifications done to any particular sample. A large lot of their sample goggles was auctioned off several years ago, all with similar tags.

In addition to my article on the Navy's use of variable density goggles, you may find my past Memorial Day 2015 tribute to Loyce Dean of interest. You can find a link on the home page of the "Pilots, Man Your Planes" website.

Regards, Paul

The Rooster

Rooster77,

The goggles you show with the tag are indeed a "prototype", or shop sample, from Polaroid. They used those tags to note the various modifications done to any particular sample. A large lot of their sample goggles was auctioned off several years ago, all with similar tags.

In addition to my article on the Navy's use of variable density goggles, you may find my past Memorial Day 2015 tribute to Loyce Dean of interest. You can find a link on the home page of the "Pilots, Man Your Planes" website.

Regards, Paul

Thank you Paul.

That is a really in depth article full of great info. Thank you kindly for that!

Dave