WWII USS Batfish afloat again

Vincennes

According to the web page THE DRIVE (https://www.thedrive.com/news/28167/midwest-flooding-re-floats-historic-wwii-submarine-for-the-first-time-in-decadesin Oklahoma)

"The historic World War II submarine USS Batfish has re-floated once again nearly fifty years after it was dry docked on display in a park along the Arkansas River.

Aerial video from KOTV News on 6 shows the USS Batfish floating comfortably in at least 15 feet of water on Wednesday as the Arkansas spills over its banks and swamps the city of Muskogee. Normally, the 77-year-old Balao-class submarine serves as the centerpiece for Muskogee's War Memorial Park, standing bare on a bowl-shaped lawn as both an interactive museum and a point of pride for the region. But these floodwaters have it sailing again like it's 1943.

The boat began to lift up as water filled the surrounding basin, prompting an evacuation of the museum while caretakers removed WWII-era artifacts for safekeeping. That decision seemed even wiser as the USS Batfish began to list as it floated ever-higher; local firefighters later filled its ballast tanks to level it out. It remains to be seen whether the old sub will stay watertight."

Below are pictures of the USS Batfish under normal conditions and now afloat.

Paul

post-2319-0-30428000-1558650456_thumb.jpg

post-2319-0-27697500-1558650476_thumb.jpg

Well guess it pays to be a floating museum in a flood plain....glad they got a plan, hope the old lady holds together.

The Meatcan

She looks more at home in brown water than green grass. Hope everything survives the flooding. Thanks for sharing the link.

Terry

The Rooster

Who ever it was that decided against knocking an entrance Hole into the side of her, should be thanked!

Salvage Sailor

Notice they have deployed the diving planes......

I think I saw on the local news that they've called out the National Guard to try and better secure the Batfish as it's only being held by one line at this time. If the one line breaks before it can better be secured, she could float away.

Posted Today, 03:33 PM

Chief of the Watch, last man down from the bridge, hatch secured, bridge rigged for dive. Officer of the deck, submerge the ship. Dive...dive...dive

I had to go back and look at the photos again and sure enough, they did deploy them.

As of Thursday morning (May 30) the channel 6 news in Tulsa is reporting: "The Muskogee War Memorial Park is now holding a fundraiser to restore the USS Batfish. Museum staff were able to secure the World War II submarine and prevent it from floating down the Arkansas River, but they say the Batfish could have water damage.They also say they'll have a limited amount of time to reposition the boat back into its usual location when the water starts to recede.The museum says it'll need at least $150,000 for the work.The museum has started a Go Fund Me page to help the USS Batfish."

Paul

• 1 month later...

A GATO Class Sub in 1940

Cost‎: ‎$2.85 million (1940)

By wars end I bet they were cheaper than that.

According to an inflation calculators that I pulled up $2.85 million in 1940 dollars would be $49.66 million to $56.15 million in today's dollars. Still inexpensive compared to what they pay for ships and subs today.

• 4 months later...

An update and some good news regarding the USS Batfish. Some possible fund raising methods for others to think about in a similar situation.

Video game raises $45k in a week for the USS Batfish, as the state rallies to save the sub

https://okcfox.com/news/local/video-game-raises-45k-in-a-week-for-the-uss-batfish-as-the-state-rallies-to-save-the-sub