Confirm WW1 Campaign Credit, Victory Medal related

dpast32

Hi Guys, I'm just looking to confirm something regarding the 302nd F.A. Regt., in WW1. When it's stated; ST. MIHIEL SECTOR, doesn't that indicate an 'DEFENSIVE SECTOR' clasp, NOT the St. Mihiel 'battle clasp' ? THANKS

.. Best, dpast32

I think you're correct, def. sector, cannot find them with any bar credit for active sectors, just a quick look through references though.

I think they were part of the 76th division. I have had 76th grouping that all had only a "France" bar on the Victory Medals

THANKS Guys, I appreciate the input. What I'm trying to determine, is would the service / campaign credit of 'St. Mihie l Sector', warrant which specific WW1 Victory Medal clasp ? I'm sure that it's one of the following 3 authorized examples; 1 ) St. Mihiel, 2 ) Defensive Sector, 3 ) France ? My initial 'guess' would be for 'Defensive Sector', but I honestly have to admit that I've encountered more 76th Division Victory Medals with the 'France' clasp, as opposed to any of the others ? I guess it could go either way, depending upon the understanding of the Officer involved in awarding them, right ? I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this particular issue. THANKS

Best, Dom P. / dpast32

Hi Dom,

According to the Clasp matrix I have, the 76th Division was only entitled to the FRANCE clasp, as it did not see Front Line service as a division.

Bill

The 151st FA Bde (301st, 302nd, 303rd FA Regts, 301st TM Battery) was detached from the 76th Division on arrival in France, and then trained and operated separately for the remainder of the war. From 2 to 11 Nov 1918 the 151st FA (less the 301st FA Regiment and 301st TM Btry) was attached to the French II Colonial and then the French XVII Corps' in the St. Mihiel sector in Lorraine, thus earning entitlement to the DS clasp. The only other 76th Div units to earn combat clasps were the 301st Engr Regt which participated in the actual St. Mihiel offensive, 12-16 Sep, as corps troops (St. Mihiel and DS clasps) and the 301st FS Bn which occupied the Marbache sector in Lorraine 25 Sep to 11 Nov 1918 (DS clasp).

THANK YOU 3mxd & everyone else for your replies. I had initially thought that both the 302nd & 303rd F.A. we're both authorized just the DS clasp, as all my references state; St. Mihiel SECTOR not, St Mihiel as the battle clasp would be indicated. I do believe that there are 76th Division Victory's with the France clasp, but that isn't correct for all of the units within the 76th Division. I find it's always best to confirm things if you're not 100% sure on ! Thanks again Guys,

Best, Dom P.