ART POSTER: Our Soldiers in Siberia

After years of looking, finally was able to acquire a copy of a WWI poster entitled "Our Soldiers In Siberia!" This poster features the U.S. soldiers of the Siberian Intervention. One of their assignments was to aid the Czech Legion in their journey back to the Western Front. I believe the artist to be August Petrtyl, a Chicago artist of Slovak origin. He was a member of the Chicago Palette and Chisel Club, and their president in 1906. They are still active today; their mission was and is to encourage and promote American art. I have contacted them about this poster, but have not yet had a response. The poster was printed by Illinois Litho.

This is the only U.S. WWI poster to date that I have seen with the Russian Intervention as a theme. Does anyone know: are there others, and why was this topic chosen? The American Czechoslovaks were recruited for the Legions in Europe, and followed their activities closely. Seems more than coincidental that a Slovak artist was chosen for this job. Would really appreciate any further info you may have about this poster. The Russian Interventions, both Siberia and North Russia, have been of great interest to me for years, and am very glad to have this poster in my collection. Thank you for any info you can provide.

mccooper

post-151387-0-69550600-1558542930.jpg