ID Help ~ Civil War Buttons? Horstmann

borntodeal

Hi friend, do you happen to know the age? Is this Civil War? I have an estate of these to manage and would appreciate some help. There are multiples of the button.

post-236265-0-40463400-1558542898_thumb.jpg

post-236265-0-55265300-1558542903_thumb.jpg

Marktk36thIL

Is the shield raised up higher on the face than any other part of the Eagle? If so, that would be indicative of a post-1865 button and therefore considered an Indian Wars Federal Eagle.

Civil War general service buttons had a shield front that wasn't raised as much.

TheMariner

Absolutely not a civil war era button. These would fall into the Indian Wars era General service buttons! The style of the head is a dead giveaway!

The flat-top of the eagle's head has long been an indicator to button collectors that this style is from the post-Civil War era.

FWIW,

John

borntodeal

Thank you everyone. Do you have an idea of the value of this button?

Is the shield raised up higher on the face than any other part of the Eagle? If so, that would be indicative of a post-1865 button and therefore considered an Indian Wars Federal Eagle.

Civil War general service buttons had a shield front that wasn't raised as much.

Agreed... in that photo, it doesn't/didn't look like a raised shield to me.

I'm familiar with both eras also.

Either way, retail value is not radically different.

I did some research on some similar buttons I have a few months ago. the backmarks are often teh best way to ID a button.

I found this on the Relicman website. Very useful to have around.

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/Button9901-Backmark-Horstmann000.html

Horstmann931, (two part button, coat size, 21mm).
Backmark: "HORSTMANN PHILADA / (star)" dm no rings, recessed well around shank, manufacture after 1893, (Horstmann931).

Research Center: Button9901-Backmark-Horstmann931, Reference: Tice, Dating Buttons, page 130.

TheMariner

$10 dollars is also much to high value wise! You are lucky to find someone who will give $3-$4 for a button of this nature!