ww2 d-day beachmaster 7 on ebay

Costa

huntssurplus

I believe he is an honest seller. Lots of eBay feedback as well.

As stated previously he is a member and I'm sure he might common on this topic. I don't know about the helmet. Definitely would want provenance or to be able to look at it under a magnifying glass.

From sellers notes:“!!!!!!!!! SEE ALL THE ADDITIONAL PICTURES AT THE PAGE BOTTOM JUST SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WAS FOUND BY A PICKER IN GEORGIA - NO NAMES ON SHELL OR LINER BUT LOOKS VERY OLD - COULD BE THE REAL DEAL OR A VERY OLD MUSEUM COPY - ASK FOR MORE PICTURES IF NEEDED - SHELL STAMPED 127 A - LINER WEBBING HAS MICE DAMAGE AND WASHERS HAVE RUST - SOME WHITE PAINT STAINS IN THE INSIDE SHELL DOME -

Hunt

The Rooster

Is it the exact same helmet?

From 2015 ?

If it is???

I wonder how the name was removed?

Or is it just another lid? different than the one from 2015?

What the heck?

My guess is....different helmet, same artist.

Paint colors and stenciled 7 are way too similar.

Just my $.02

vintageproductions

If you are accusing this seller of faking this helmet, show proof.

I see other threads on here where proof is always shown, but never when this seller is accused.

If you're referring to my comment.

I gave my opinion on the helmet...

1. they are two different helmets

2. the artist who painted the helmets are

the same.(whoever and whenever it was

done)

I didn't anywhere that I said "the seller" has faked the helmet. An opinion is not a direct accusation. But again, it's just my $.02 and that don't amount to much.

vintageproductions

If you're referring to my comment.

I gave my opinion on the helmet...

1. they are two different helmets

2. the artist who painted the helmets are

the same.(whoever and whenever it was

done)

I didn't anywhere that I said "the seller" has faked the helmet. An opinion is not a direct accusation. But again, it's just my $.02 and that don't amount to much.

I was not referring to you.

I was referring to the helmet section in general. We have seen numerous threads against this seller, but not once has there ever been any proof, just complaints.

If any member is going to accuse someone of faking a piece, and use the sellers name, have proof and pitch your case. If you don't have proof it's kind of hard to take the accusations seriously.

There is no other section of the USMF that sees more unnecessary drama then this helmet section.

The paint was applied well after the helmet received the majority of its wear. Notice how the cork is heavily worn, with the paint atop it.

Hi Grant,

Your point is well taken. But let me offer some additional perspective in general on Normandy related helmets that have been painted up for the invasion. On one hand, a number of these soldiers only enlisted months prior to being sent over to England in April of 1944 or so and you would expect a "fresh" less used helmet prior to any painting. On the flip side, many participants had been serving years prior to May-June of 1944 and you can find significant wear and perhaps other painted markings, prior to Normandy paint. Therefore, for the collector, just another variable in assessing any of these helmets.

Keep up the good work on your site!

stealthytyler

Blacksmith pointed out the reproduction helmet italianwarfront sold back in 2015 that is similar in aesthetic. Here they are side by side for better reference. The one thing that really stands out to me is the identical paint colors between the two. The helmet that sold in 2015 appears to have a dirty wash over the paint giving a flatter appearance. But every now and then, the blue really pops through, unaffected by the wash. The blue in both lids are identical to my eyes. On top of that, both lids come from the same seller. And finally, the seller states that they are or may be reproductions. Its just the wording in his listings that is throwing everyone off here. All that said, I think a safe assumption is that they are both decent reproductions created by the same artist using the same paint.

What say you?

post-131595-0-70184300-1558575745_thumb.jpg

post-131595-0-71242200-1558575764.jpg

GeneralCheese

Blacksmith pointed out the reproduction helmet italianwarfront sold back in 2015 that is similar in aesthetic. Here they are side by side for better reference. The one thing that really stands out to me is the identical paint colors between the two. The helmet that sold in 2015 appears to have a dirty wash over the paint giving a flatter appearance. But every now and then, the blue really pops through, unaffected by the wash. The blue in both lids are identical to my eyes. On top of that, both lids come from the same seller. And finally, the seller states that they are or may be reproductions. Its just the wording in his listings that is throwing everyone off here. All that said, I think a safe assumption is that they are both decent reproductions created by the same artist using the same paint.

What say you?

attachicon.gif7nbb sbs 1.jpg

attachicon.gif7nbb sbs 2.jpg

That blue is a standard paint color that is seen on MANY original helmets. Unless these helmets in my possession are also faked by the same person?

post-30085-0-78417500-1558580269.jpgpost-30085-0-41301700-1558580276.jpg

post-30085-0-17427800-1558580286.jpgpost-30085-0-64242200-1558580293.jpg

stealthytyler

Those colors dont come close to the helmets in question. Its besides the point though. Just pointing out that both the helmets blue colors match. If your read the item descriptions on both lids, it clearly states they are or may be repops. Thats not what Im trying to get at though. Im trying to show that I believe the same artist created both of them using the same materials :) nice reproductions in my opinion and would be great for us folks that cant afford legit beach bn helmets...when and if they ever pop up for sale!

ArchangelDM

That blue is a standard paint color that is seen on MANY original helmets. Unless these helmets in my possession are also faked by the same person?

IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1186.JPG

Going to agree with Tyler

Cheese the blue on your helmet is different to the ones Tyler has shown from Italian war front. Its flatter and is more Matt as seen on lots of period navy helmets.

Ill post my navy one for the blue to compare

- Dean

ArchangelDM

What’s consistent in mine and cheeses Helmet is that the blue has a flat appearance when hit with light. Non reflective in its nature, the other 2 helmets posted seem to react differently to the light and seem to make the paint shine.

- Dean

GeneralCheese

Going to agree with Tyler

Cheese the blue on your helmet is different to the ones Tyler has shown from Italian war front. Its flatter and is more Matt as seen on lots of period navy helmets.

Ill post my navy one for the blue to compare

- Dean

The color is the same, my lighting is different. Giorgio takes his pictures outside in sunlight, I took those in the dark with just my camera flash. If the sun ever shows up again here (we had snow two days ago!) I will add new pictures.

stealthytyler

Snow in May!?!? Yikes! Again, im just trying to point out that both helmets to my eyes have the same exact paint thus my opinion that the same artist made both. Not disagreeing with you Cheese on your lids. Love your helmets by the way. I think I've seen that first helmet before on here! So cool.

I am with Tyler on this... two helmets with the same technique of faking, two stories (picker in Georgia, flea market in California) and same seller 3 years apart... doesn't look like a coincidence.

its just asking to quote Bill47 from His 2015 post:

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

How could a well regarded member of our community even entertain the possibility that some of these were genuine, we asked. You were asked repeatedly about this development, and it is my opinion that this 7th NBB helmet falls into that category. Anyone who commanded less respect or was less knowledgeable than you might have received a pass on these, but the conclusion that many of us reached was that you were being less than candid in holding out the possibility that these were authentic. Either that, or our original trust in your judgment was misplaced. That's really all I have to say on the matter.

Regards,

Bill

The Rooster

gee guys, I didn't want to start a firestorm here--- only posted if some one was interested.

Geez!!! There you go Costa... Now you did it!!!

lol

Just kidding Brother.

Its an interesting conversation.

I'm sure the helmet was actually was worn and suffered wear prior to the June 1944 D-Day paint scheme being applied. The wear to the helmet prior to painting wouldn't be a concern to me.

I'm sure the helmet was actually was worn and suffered wear prior to the June 1944 D-Day paint scheme being applied. The wear to the helmet prior to painting wouldn't be a concern to me.

And for you guys worrying about the different shades of paint, General Cheese is correct, lighting in photography affects color. Do you really think the U.S. Navy in WWII ordered helmets painted and then told the person painting each individual helmet, paint one helmet, throw away the remaining paint, mix a new shade, paint the next helmet, etc. Batches of paint would obviously have been issued to various Navy D-Day Units and instructions issued on how to paint the helmets and guess what......... the batch of helmet paint issued to a particular Unit may have been enough to paint several helmets. Age and storage will also have an effect on paint seventy-five years later, as well. In my opinion, it is a stretch to say the same individual painted the two helmets pictured, based on the available photos.