Wisconsin KIA Stained Glass Window

Marktk36thIL
My brother and I had this in our collection for about a month before it was rehomed in the Kenosha, WI Civil War Museum.
Salvaged from when so many G.A.R. Halls had outlived their usefulness, this 9'x3' window came from G.A.R. Post 198 in Seymor, WI. Named after John Grenzo, also spelled "Granzo". John Grenzo, was a member of Co. I of the 4th WI Vol. Inf.
The unit saw extensive service in the Western Theater, including the battle of Port Hudson, where they suffered 120 casualties from the 220 men who made the initial assault. The attached is an image of the regimental surgeon's book lists John among those killed in action. He would ultimately be survived by his wife and two children. The 4th Wisconsin Infantry would later be mounted and turned into a cavalry regiment in August of 1863.
The remainder of the War would see the 4th involved in picketing, scouting, and in various expeditions in the Western Theater until their disbandment in 1866. Regiment losses during service: 11 Officers and 106 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded 3 Officers and 311 Enlisted men by disease Total 431. Much better than any Künstler painting that we ever saw.

post-220483-0-74092900-1558487066_thumb.jpg

post-220483-0-32004800-1558487074.jpg

post-220483-0-94159200-1558487080_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous piece! I recognize the harbor behind it too! I'll have to stop in sometime to see it--have they put it on display?

Marktk36thIL

They have. It's in the upper rotunda that holds their library I believe. I haven't been up there since they mounted it, but am looking forward to it.