Colonel H.B. Allen, WW2 Korea & Vietnam Veteran

bryang

Estate sale in Clarksville TN. There were a huge amount of military items from Colonel Hubert B. Allen, who was a career U.S. Army officer who served in the Second World War, Korea and Vietnam.

Though I arrived very early to the estate sale (got there at 5:30am), there were already several people who had arrived much sooner to stand in line.

The online advertisement for this sale showed dress uniforms, medals and certificates, photo albums full of military photos, vintage Army foot lockers, and the big items which drew many of the people there were the Red Cross uniforms and photos of Mrs. Allen – who served in Europe during the Second World War.

When the door opened there was a mad dash to grab up the Red Cross items, as well as some of the more significant military items. Unfortunately, Colonel Allen’s Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star and Bronze Star certificates were immediately snatched up before I could get to them. I really couldn’t afford them anyway, as they were priced extremely high. None of the medals were engraved. The guys buying these were professionals, with deep pockets, who turn around and sell them for profit. Oh well.

The Colonel’s photo albums were also extremely expensive, with one album’s WW2 photos each being sold individually at $10 a pop. Again, out of my price range.

I managed to grab Colonel Allen’s dress blue uniform, with his decorations and insignia affixed to it. It was quite expensive, but I really wanted this and payed up to get it. I also managed to pick up a few of what I thought might be significant wall-mounted plaques as well as his certificate for the Army Commendation ribbon for his duty during post-WW2 occupation duty in Germany, and his Joint Service Commendation Medal certificate for his duty in Vietnam.

I returned to the estate sale two days later – the last day of the sale, and they wanted everything gone. The gentleman running the sale made me an extremely great offer to buy the rest of the remaining military items. Everything. He simply wanted it all out of the house asap.

I got his dress mess white and blue tops, a set of his khakis (while these uniforms didn’t have his awards, the bullion crossed Infantry rifles on both dress uniform tops are wonderful). I took all of the remaining certificates and plaques off of the walls, which included oil painted portraits of both Colonel Allen (in uniform) and Mrs. Allen. These paintings are pretty damn big.

I acquired Colonel Allen’s uniforms and insignia from 1936, where he was a Cadet at the Missouri Military Academy, which I was particularly pleased about, as well as several of his and his wife’s sport club shooting jackets. And for the uniforms I acquired, I have photographs of the Colonel wearing each of them – including one of the sport shooting jackets.

Though I missed out on his Silver and Bronze Star certificates, I found the original certificates and documents for all four of his Legion of Merit decorations which I was very pleased to obtain. I have his Officer’s Commission from 1939, as well as his retirement certificates.

I took home all of the Colonel’s photo albums, each of which are packed with photographs spanning his military career.

I have a quilt, which was presented to him and his wife upon his retirement – he commanded Fort Sheridan Illinois, and this quilt reflects this. I have photos from when this was presented in 1978. My wife loves quilts and quilting, so she was pleased that I was able to get this.

Though I wasn’t able to get any of Mrs. Allen’s Red Cross items, my wife suggested I try to get something of hers to go with this grouping. I took home one of her dress gowns (I believe from the 1950’s or early 1960’s), which came with a photograph of Colonel and Mrs. Allen – she’s wearing this gown.

The Allens had a son, Herbert B. Allen Jr, who went through the Citadel and subsequently received an officer’s commission. He served in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot with the 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, where he earned the Distinguished Flying Cross, as well as twenty Air Medals. I obtained H.B. Allen Jr’s confirmation outfit from his Christening in 1948. This infant’s outfit is home made and includes a small card detailing who made it and when. I have one of his ribbons – Air Medal with “V” valor device and numeral “18.”

Colonel Herbert Bland Allen was born Herbert A. Jones in Oklahoma in 1921 and was subsequently adopted by his stepfather, Lon C. Allen. A young Herbert Allen attended the Missouri Military Academy, graduating in 1939. However, he did not immediately receive an officer’s commission due to being underage at the time. In 1942 Colonel Allen was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Infantry and was assigned as an Infantry Platoon Leader at Camp Wolters, Texas.

In 1943 he was promoted to Captain, and as a Company Commander in the 395th Infantry Regiment, 99th Infantry Division. He participated in the Allied invasion of Northern France, the Battle of the Bulge, as well as combat operations in Germany and Austria. Following the famous Remagen Bridge crossing, he served as the Executive Officer of the 1st Battalion, 395th Infantry Regiment until Germany’s surrender.

He was promoted to Major in 1945 and was assigned to the staff of the 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. In 1946 he was detailed to Military Intelligence in Austria, until his return to the United States in 1947.

Upon deciding to make the Army a career, he voluntarily took a reduction in grade to Captain. In 1949 he was restored to the rank of Major and assigned to the 10th Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Division. In 1951 he qualified as a Parachutist and assigned to the Pentagon.

He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1952, and after completing the Command and General Staff College in 1954, he commanded the 2nd Battalion, 34th Infantry Division of the 24th Infantry Division in Korea. He went on to serve at Camp Zama Japan in 1956.

In 1958 Colonel Allen served as Professor of Military Science at the University of Maryland, then at St. Norbert College in Wisconsin.

He was promoted to Colonel in 1963, and returned to Korea, where he served in the 1st Cavalry Division, then commanded the 2nd Battle Group, 12th Cavalry Division. He later attended the Army War College, then was assigned to the Pentagon working on Military Personnel Policy for the Secretary of Defense.

From 1968 to 1971, Colonel Allen was assigned to the Staff at Headquarters of Allied Forces, Southern Europe, in Naples Italy.

Colonel Allen went to Vietnam, where he served as the Senior Military Advisor to the Phung Huong-Phoenix program in Military Assistance Command, Vietnam. Upon his return a year later, he became Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel at 3rd Army Headquarters at Fort McPherson, Georgia, and then at the newly activated Headquarters Forces Command in 1973.

In 1975 Colonel Allen was assigned as the Post Commander of Fort Sheridan, Illinois, where he served until his retirement in 1978.

Colonel and Mrs. Allen subsequently settled in Clarksville, Tennessee. He was the recipient of the Distinguished Service Medal, the Silver Star, Legion of Merit with 3 oak leaf clusters, Bronze Star with “V” valor device, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal, American Defense Service Medal, American Campaign Medal, ETO Medal with 3 campaign stars. World War Two Victory Medal, World War Two Occupation Medal, National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, Vietnam Service Medal with 3 campaign stars, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal, Presidential Unit Citation, Parachutist Badge, Combat Infantry Badge, and Secretary of Defense Identification Badge.

His ribbon bar has, what I presume is, a foreign award, however I’m not certain what it is.

Colonel Allen Passed away in March 2003 and is buried at the Missile Tennessee State Veteran’s Cemetery in Nashville, Tennessee. His wife, Elenora, currently resides in a nursing home. Her nickname is “Tommy,” this name of which is on some of the articles – cards, letters, etc - I have.

I have far too many photographs to be able to post here, so I’ve tried to post the best of them.

I’s appreciate it if anyone could identify for me the green and white ribbon at the center bottom of Colonel Allen’s ribbon bar.

post-152877-0-41753500-1558411877_thumb.jpg

post-152877-0-15162800-1558411884_thumb.jpg

post-152877-0-51880000-1558411889_thumb.jpg

Quite the archive.

Glad you were able to save a lot of it.

The WW2 photos are interesting with the 99th painted helmet....surprised that wasn't there as well.But having such a long career Im sure the older stuff may have been discarded or passed along years ago.

TheMariner

Just in case this seller is willing to work with you, it appears his DSM Cert and the Case are for sale now on ebay! Asking price is literally insane but maybe if you give him your story he will work with you! Best of luck, nice set btw!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Named-Distinguished-Service-Medal-Certificate-Box-WWII-Korea-Vet/273857715781?hash=item3fc3311e45:g:xOAAAOSwJGtc5M9e

Now his BS and cert are also available

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Bronze-Star-Certificate-and-Medal-for-Operations-Against-the-Enemy/273857723992