Col R,Olds' 100 mission helmet reproduction

72psb

There are no shortages of TOP GUN "Maverick" helmets for sale. I decided to recreate a REAL American Hero's flight helmet.

Col.Robin Olds was a triple ace,WWII-Vietnam. On 23 Sept 67 he flew his last combat mission. This was officially his 100th mission,but actually his 152nd flown.

This helmet represents the helmet flown that day.

No issued helmets were hurt in making this reproduction. HGU-26/P shell and visor cover,visor modified to look like an early version.Liner and avionics and other parts sources as used or NOS.

Any comments,questions or obscene gestures welcome.

post-68747-0-09464600-1558403796_thumb.jpgpost-68747-0-03919600-1558403879_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

Thats a really nice helmet with a lot of detail ( like the mig kills on the back) and a great tribute to a 3 war USA ACE!

Great job!

Rooster!

Blacksmith

Typo on the date of his last combat mission? I don’t think we were flying combat missions in 1976, but then again, you don’t become a triple ace by sitting around. :). Great job on the helmet. How did you paint it?

Blacksmith,

You are right.1967 would be correct.Rattle can and airbrush. Migs hand painted detail.

Moderator note: Date corrected above. GWB123

• 2 weeks later...
phantomfixer

Excellent job on the helmet...love it..great attention to detail.....took the liberty and posted the original next to yours...the helmet on display at the museum has the visor cover modified..I wonder when that happened..

post-155518-0-62369200-1559676069.jpg

post-155518-0-75404200-1559676083.jpg

Now throw it in the trunk of your car with a few loos spanners and drive around for a month !

That will age it like nothing else.

Good job.

Very nice to look at.

PS

The original has fluffy edges from the spray gun.

owen

Owen,

This was my first experience with an airbrush. I get your point about the edges.I will do some things different the next time around.Still a lot of fun doing it.

Bob

phantomfixer

I think it is cool you replicated the chipping of the camo with the black paint underneath ...at least that is what it looks like in the pics

• 2 years later...