WWII EXPERIMENTAL US CANTEEN

6th.MG.BN

Interesting canteen that looks like it was from the same estate as the two "Prototype US helmet liners that sold last month.

I don't remember ever seeing a black fiber canteen before? Ebay #183816219966.

I hope one of the members can post the auction/pictures?

Ken

Note the small “ block” at bottom of neck, hole to attach the chain for cap would be drilled there.

Note the small block at bottom of neck, hole to attach the chain for cap would be drilled there.

That's where I also was thinking the cap could be attached.

Too bad there wasn't a makers mark on it. Most likely a one of?

Ken

Yea, extremely Rare canteen, Guessing that it never had cap and chain it was “ trial piece”, can’t recall seeing one. Wonder what type material the cup was?

It looks to be a concept canteen that never made it into experimental trials.

That would explain the square embossment not finish with the chain attachment.

Im wondering if it is a form for a mold?...something made to produce a mold the ethocel canteens were made from??

Im wondering if it is a form for a mold?...something made to produce a mold the ethocel canteens were made from??

Intriguing Idea.

Intriguing Idea.

Im sure the records are out there some place for the design and development of the early plastic/ethocel canteens.wonder if the quartermaster museum would have anything.

I know there was mention here on he forum of the pattern room at the Philadelphia QMD and much of it got tossed or sold when they closed.

No idea if that is the case, but you give a brilliant example of "thinking outside the box"!

Mikie

It's definitely looks to be made from helmet liner material? The process of molding this style of canteen is call blow molding which is the way the Vietnam canteens are made also today's plastic bottles.

Its were they blow up a plastic bubble and squeeze the bubble with two mold halfs lined up forcing the air inside the bubble to form the canteen inside the metal mold.

In this case it looks like they took two sheets of the liner material sealed the outside edges warm them up to form and filled with air and took the bubbled sheets placed them in the mold to form the canteen by forcing the air inside the sheets bubble to form inside the metal mold.

The threads look weak on the canteen and heavy as this material is could well had problems getting the cap to seal or just took too long to produce them just my opinion.

It's definitely looks to be made from helmet liner material? The process of molding this style of canteen is call blow molding which is the way the Vietnam canteens are made also today's plastic bottles.

Its were they blow up a plastic bubble and squeeze the bubble with two mold halfs lined up forcing the air inside the bubble to form the canteen inside the metal mold.

In this case it looks like they took two sheets of the liner material sealed the outside edges warm them up to form and filled with air and took the bubbled sheets placed them in the mold to form the canteen by forcing the air inside the sheets bubble to form inside the metal mold.

The threads look weak on the canteen and heavy as this material is could well had problems getting the cap to seal or just took too long to produce them just my opinion.

Agree looks like the later "high pressure" helmet liner material. I wonder if the German canteen materials influenced this design?

Agree it looks like the impregnated duck material that liners were made from.Much like a piece of fiber glass material that resin is added to and then formed.

This said if it was formed out of material like the liner wouldnt it be done with heat and pressure?

I would think a blow mold process you would need a thinner or more pliable/formable material and if this was treated with a resin it would not be very easy to work with I'm thinking.Also Im thinking it would be prone to leaks or gaps in the material and layers if not properly formed.

Here is a photo from the auction of the bottom of the canteen.

post-342-0-58039400-1559018880_thumb.jpg

The material used is what I call the brown circuit board type material .

This thinner some what flexable material is made from canvas duck material and epoxy resin as this is what helmet liners are made from.

I don't believe there is any fiberglass cloth in it as it would leave splinters when crack or broken and would be bad for the body trying to use it this way.

The WWII liner are made from a sheet of these materials and would have to be warmed just enough to form in a mold until cool and harden into shape and then trim the edges.

The material used is what I call the brown circuit board type material .

This thinner some what flexable material is made from canvas duck material and epoxy resin as this is what helmet liners are made from.

I don't believe there is any fiberglass cloth in it as it would leave splinters when crack or broken and would be bad for the body trying to use it this way.

The WWII liner are made from a sheet of these materials and would have to be warmed just enough to form in a mold until cool and harden into shape and then trim the edges.

Yes its the brown duck material like the liners...My point was that the material needs to be treated to be formed or molded much like resin when added to fiberglass.THe duct material I assume is like a early fiber glass like the ethocel material was an early plastic.

Something has to be added to the duck material to get it to form when heat and pressure is applied

Ron,

The sheets are pre made up as layered fiber and resin material and heated to form and take a shape in a form and not like making a boat or corvette body as the sheets and resin are later in the form.

skypilot6670

If this is phenolic material ,which is commonly used is circuit boards my guess is that its a mock up for making molds for plastic canteens. If this were to be a canteen it would have to be lined because of the taste phenolic would impart in the water. In Nam the drinking water left a lot to be desired for the most part it was ok ,but had a chemical taste ( probably chlorine). Lister bags,water buffalos (small water trailers) and canteens all had their effects on the water , especially after a couple days in the sun. I dont think phenolic would be acceptable. Its a cool piece I hope someone on the forum got it. Id like to know if it has an odor like an old tube radio. Thanks for posting. Mike