Battle Star on World War II Victory Ribbon

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello,

Picked up an Ike the other day with a WWII Victory Ribbon that has a Battle Star, the same kind used for campaign medals on it. Unsure as to how one would have earned a battle star for their victory ribbon? Have seen this before on other uniforms. Is it just a mistake by the soldier, or something that could actually be awarded. I feel like any battle stars for any theater would have just gone on the appropriate campaign/defense ribbon and there would be no need to place it on the victory ribbon. As well as you could only earn the ribbon once so I don't see a reason to put a star on it. Maybe if you were in either theater during both VE day and VJ day, but this uniform shows no signs of European service.

Any ideas?
Thanks,

Hunt

This was done unofficially by non-infantry (Infantry Soldiers got the CIB) soldiers to show they were in "actual combat" vs. others in support units who got campaign stars on their ribbons, but didn't see real combat. This was all more or less a verbal explanation passed down from veterans until a few years ago someone found a Stars and Stripes article from right after the war ended reminding Soldiers that this was strictly not authorized....so there was written proof. I've had several uniforms over the years with them - I want to say almost all were ETO veterans.

huntssurplus

Oh that makes a lot of sense. the uniform is for T/3 that had some sort of medical job. There is also a US Army Pacific Command patch on the left sleeve. 2 battle stars on PTO ribbon and 1 star on Philippine Liberation Ribbon.

Thought it was odd for the star, but makes sense, the soldier wanted to show he saw combat. There is no occupation ribbon so i'm guessing the soldier went home before the Combat Medical Badge was authorized and so wanted to show of their combat service.

Thanks for the info,

Hunt

gijoeonthego

I have my Uncle's US Navy WWII Victory ribbon. It has a star on it as well. If you search this forum you'll see more postings and the S&S article about unauthorized use.

Yeah, I've got a photo of a guy in the air corps wearing a star on what I believe is a victory ribbon bar.....He also appears to be wearing an EAME ribbon bar.....Bodes

I have heard (more than once) that sailors that were present on one of the many ships in Tokyo Bay when the surrender was signed on September 2, 1945 wore the star on their Victory ribbon as a sign of "I was there when it ended", although it was officially unauthorized.

McDermut99

Yep, worn to signify combat participation. I have a studio photo of two brothers, one of which served in the Pacific and had a star on his Victory ribbon if I recall correctly.