Sergeant John Merrill (1846 - 1883) - Medal of Honor, 1880

roadrunner

roadrunner

@ m1903

Thank you for posting the pictures.

I like the engraving and interested for how much $$$$ it will be sale.

How many of this old version are awarded ?

Michael

roadrunner

Here is the description:

"Description

Five-rayed star standing on one point (army 1st model) minted in bronze with stamped signature "Paquet F.". Eagle clasp mounted with rings and suspension clasp with safety pin also minted in bronze. On the original ribbon. The reverse with winner’s dedication "The Congress to Serg.t John M. Merrill Co.'F' 5.Cav. for bravery at Milk River, Colo. - Sept. 29.1879 to Oct. 5.1879". Width 53.3 mm. Lightly patinated.

The Medal of Honour was introduced by President Abraham Lincoln as the highest bravery award during the War of Secession in 1861 and has been awarded until today approx. 3,500 times.

Sergeant John Mitchell Merril served in the "F" company of the 5th Cavalry Regiment and received his medal for courageous perseverance after being severely wounded in the "Meeker Massacre". On 29 September 1879, the White River Ute Indians attacked the US agent for the White River Ute Reservation, Nathan Meeker. The agent, who was very unpopular because of his provocations towards the Native Americans and his zealous efforts to Christianise them, and his ten employees were killed, three women and two children were taken hostage. Several days earlier, General George Crooks had already sent off 153 soldiers from the 3rd and 5th Cavalry as well as the 4th Infantry to the White River under the command of Major Thomas T. Thornburgh to settle the affair amicably rather than through military intervention. Although other Ute chiefs had warned him on his way to take only a handful of soldiers with him for the negotiations, Thornburgh advanced with his whole force and was awaited at the border of the reservation by the alarmed Native Americans. Around 11:30 a.m. on 29 September 1879 the advance guard encountered the first Ute Indians, a shot was fired from a hitherto unknown side and within a short time 13 soldiers were killed, including Major Thornburgh and numerous higher officers. Many were wounded, among them Sergeant John Merrill, and some 300 horses and mules fell victim to the gunfire. The surviving soldiers retreated to the barricade of wagons and hid between the wagons and animal carcasses. Scout Joe Rankin was sent to obtain reinforcement, and shortly afterwards 35 black cavalrymen from the 9th Cavalry "Buffalo Soldiers" arrived from Fort Lewis after having fought their way through the lines of the White River Ute Indians. The final rescue was not achieved until 8 October, when 350 soldiers commanded by Colonel Wesley Merritt arrived at the battlefield.

One of the rarest and most honourable awards of the USA.

Condition: II +"

Interesting ... I never check overseas auctions for rare medals. How often are MOHs sold at overseas auctions?

I assume if a patriotic American purchased this medal to return it to the U.S. he/she would be arrested for being a good Samaritan? Not suggesting anyone should try it... it just underscores the total lunacy.

Hope it finds a good home.

ajbUSWM it is indeed a sad commentary on the stat of this country that American citizens cannot own a piece of American history, that certain elements of our society would rather see them go oversees than be held here.

Very historic U.S. Medal of Honor. Sad to see it being sold overseas. I sincerely hope in the near future congress will recognize the idiocy of this law. Bobgee

Sold for 5.400,00 € ( $ 6,020.46 ) plus 25% buyers premium and fees.

I hope a patriotic American purchased it and brings it back home for display.

ludwigh1980

Oh, that is painful to see. I have visited that battlefield several times, here in Colorado. If i recall Sergeant Merril's CMOH sold several years ago in Europe for around $18,000. To see it sell again for such a low price and to be un-touchable. Maybe someday I can get a museum here to purchase it. There is more than a few here in Colorado that would look upon it with due reverence and ensuring its honorable display. It's almost heart breaking.

TheMariner

Ouch 6,000 for a MOH, that seems super cheap to me but I remember a few Civil War MOH's selling in Canada a few years back for that price or less! I cannot imagine how much they would bring if available to the US collector!