Marine Helicopter Squadron HMR(C)-363 Patch

River Patrol

River Patrol

Been lucky enough to obtain this patch indirectly from the family...there were only 3 Marine helicopter squadrons that used the Composite © designation prior to the '80s, but there is conflicting information about the designation for the three units (161,263 & 363)....some say is was a Recon squadron....others sites say Light Transportation.....and, quite possibly, the original patch owner believed it was Medium Range, Compact since the transcription of the history in the shadow box which came from another collector had this designation assigned to the patch (I believe information was from a personal interview). If anyone knows what the true designation means, please inform me.

Super rare patch.....if anyone has the other © designation patches please post them because I can't find a single website that shows what they looks like for HMR©-161 or HMR©-263.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

x_64.jpg

Yes the 3 squadrons were made reconnaissance squadrons in I believe 1958 and they lasted only one year before reverting back to HMR (L) designation. Not sure why the C composite squadron letter was used, I assume since they could perform multiple functions?

River Patrol

Yes the 3 squadrons were made reconnaissance squadrons in I believe 1958 and they lasted only one year before reverting back to HMR (L) designation. Not sure why the C composite squadron letter was used, I assume since they could perform multiple functions?

© for composite since I believe they were using some fixed wing aircraft in the squadrons to perform the Recon missions, but I see what you are saying now.

Awesome patch, by the way. I have an HMR©-263 off a jacket. I will post it when I get back from the weekend. - Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

OK, finally got around to posting the HMR©263. Came off a leather jacket. A bit tattered but hard to find. - Jeff

post-2688-0-30859700-1560997823.jpg

OK, finally got around to posting the HMR©263. Came off a leather jacket. A bit tattered but hard to find. - Jeff

Jeff, Great Patch!

• 2 weeks later...
River Patrol

Oh wow....that 263 is incredible ....a design I've not seen....always learning!