Salty Graffitied Operation Desert Storm used PASGT

AnDuc49

Hello all, wanted to share this nice PASGT which I was able to pick up recently.
The helmet has not been altered or messed around with since it was last used. Opening the package is similar to opening an old book; as soon as I lifted it out there was fine dust everywhere. The helmet stinks of cigarette smoke as well, so I guess that adds to it's authenticity. The best thing about this helmet for me is the fact that it seems to have been graffitied by the soldier during his service as almost a map of his duty stations. While some of the graffiti have faded away/washed out, the majority of it is still legible
- The rear is marked: "O - Pos Dude!!"
- Top - Center Panel is marked: "Camp Casey, Korea. FGGM (Fort George G. Mead), Maryland. and then . . . . HEAVY METAL. Saudi Hour"
"Oct. 19, 90. Cement City (Dharan, Saudi Arabia). Thaj (Middle of nowhere in the desert; Assume it was a staging area). KKMC (King Khalid Military City). LBW (?). Iraq -> FOB "9". Iraq -> DOA "10" "KKMC"
- The right side of the helmet is marked: "Overtime" with approx. 170 tick marks (Which I imagine symbolize how long his tour lasted).
- The helmet band is marked to "Rayan" x2 and "Heavy Metal" x3 on both sides. The ink had bled thru the band and has stained the helmet cover underneath, so a good indicator that this is a matching set
As the graffiti is pretty faded, I made a guess on some parts about what's written, so feel free to correct me if I made a mistake ID'ing some of the locations
I hope you all like it as much as I do!

post-154926-0-05919600-1558042176_thumb.jpg

It looks like this helmet went to a logistics person. The decision to employ the VII Corps wasn't made until November, so this individual went over to support XVIII Airborne Corps, first flying in to Dharan on the east coast, moving into an area near Riyadh, then moving forward to KKMC. LBW may be Logistics Base West, FOB is Forward Operating Base (most like out on the left flank of 3rd Army/XVIII Airborne Corps, then back to KKMC to help move the units out. 170 days past October10 would have him moving out around April 1, 1991.

As for being untouched, this soldier could be National Guard or USAR so once the unit returned, they turned in or stored their equipment and individuals went home to rest and some of them had enough active duty time to wait out their retirement until age 60.

Just guessing.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Nice one! Gulf war graffiti is on par with Vietnam, I guess they had a lot of free time in the desert.

Note, old style M1 Sweat/headband, was there use in PASGT helmets common?

There were still a TON of them in the supply system in the early 90s, doesn't surprise me. I imagine the leather tended to wear out quick due to heat and sweat and you took whatever replacement sweatband was available.

Looks legit, I'm amazed it hasn't been messed with in 28 years!

Nice one! Gulf war graffiti is on par with Vietnam, I guess they had a lot of free time in the desert.

Thank you all for the kind comments!

It looks like this helmet went to a logistics person. The decision to employ the VII Corps wasn't made until November, so this individual went over to support XVIII Airborne Corps, first flying in to Dharan on the east coast, moving into an area near Riyadh, then moving forward to KKMC. LBW may be Logistics Base West, FOB is Forward Operating Base (most like out on the left flank of 3rd Army/XVIII Airborne Corps, then back to KKMC to help move the units out. 170 days past October10 would have him moving out around April 1, 1991.

As for being untouched, this soldier could be National Guard or USAR so once the unit returned, they turned in or stored their equipment and individuals went home to rest and some of them had enough active duty time to wait out their retirement until age 60.

Just guessing.

Thank you Thorin for all of this additional info, I do appreciate it. It's crazy to see how much you were able find out with the little info available.

I would've imagined that it belonged to an artillery unit perhaps (Heavy Metal seems to have been a call-sign used by them from what I remember, but I could be mistaken), but what you said seems to make sense.

There were still a TON of them in the supply system in the early 90s, doesn't surprise me. I imagine the leather tended to wear out quick due to heat and sweat and you took whatever replacement sweatband was available.

It wouldn't surprise me either. If it was indeed used by someone in the NG or USAR, then I'm sure they wouldn't have been on top of the list for newer gear.

It wouldn't surprise me either. If it was indeed used by someone in the NG or USAR, then I'm sure they wouldn't have been on top of the list for newer gear.

I was active duty USAF and we deployed with M1 steel pots and Vietnam era flak vests.

Nice helmet.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I was active duty USAF and we deployed with M1 steel pots and Vietnam era flak vests.

Nice helmet.

post-153751-0-81079300-1529356199.jpg

I wonder if the Over Time isn't for a Stop Loss guy who was held beyond his enlistment or term? I seem to remember quite a few of these folks plus us old guys brought back from retirement.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

hope it’s ok if I reply after an long inactive thread....

Got this one 1992 from an friend... 

I more collect nam stuff, but I love this graffiti helmet too :) 

B5070A3C-D4F5-4B85-B375-D21D83382E41.jpeg.55f38ed0a81e4d9646361d7b61e789e2.jpeg

3600F115-0513-407B-83B8-EF7BE572AB86.jpeg.57b982e7d4b7f0b5fcee713599f97e2e.jpeg

39665F44-F75D-4E42-A664-B6C550D0A1AC.jpeg.b36180b42510240578ae2fae0a40c7d6.jpeg

FA56274A-4174-43CA-AAD6-04F1EABDD1F5.jpeg.5bcf420ea893cec7c26b42dc85b4aeb1.jpeg

6D368286-04BC-47C5-BF0B-F21227E6427E.jpeg.5860a531a9dc66ec8fefc14428f87f6f.jpeg

6D368286-04BC-47C5-BF0B-F21227E6427E.jpeg.5860a531a9dc66ec8fefc14428f87f6f.jpeg