Need help: original 101st m1 helmet?

Normandy1944

Normandy1944

Recently, I came across this helmet that is going to be up for auction.

I was wondering, is it an original?

Please share your opinions, as well as your arguments, as we can all learn from them.

post-106958-0-85325100-1557937238_thumb.jpg

post-106958-0-14654600-1557937248_thumb.jpg

post-106958-0-44497700-1557937287_thumb.jpg

Nickman983

Seems artificially aged, also not an expert on D bails but they dont look right either

Yea, I would agree. Kind of looks like there was something applied to the tac marks to age them. The feet may also be a bit long.

I'm by no means an expert, just my 2 cents. I'll let those more knowledgeable on M2s chime in and correct me if I'm missing something

In any case, does the auction show the heat stamp on the helmet? Any provenance?

Normandy1944

Yea, I would agree. Kind of looks like there was something applied to the tac marks to age them. The feet may also be a bit long.

I'm by no means an expert, just my 2 cents. I'll let those more knowledgeable on M2s chime in and correct me if I'm missing something

In any case, does the auction show the heat stamp on the helmet? Any provenance?

The heat stamp is 320 S according to the auction house.

As far as the provenance goes, it came from a museum that was trimming down its collection.

All the military items in the auction have this provenance and include some WWII german panzer wraps, Waffen ss caps etc.

In total about 35 items.

The museum had many veteran purchased items, like a German general officer uniform.

Nickman983

The heat stamp is 320 S according to the auction house.

As far as the provenance goes, it came from a museum that was trimming down its collection.

All the military items in the auction have this provenance and include some WWII german panzer wraps, Waffen ss caps etc.

In total about 35 items.

The museum had many veteran purchased items, like a German general officer uniform.

I would pass on this helmet. The fact that the heat stamp is 320 S is a not a good sign.

To my knowledge there aren't any McCord heat stamps that end with an S, so I would wager a guess that 320 S is really a Schlueter with a heat stamp of 320.

Again, I am by no means and expert on M2s, but from the pictures and the heat stamp I would not think that the markings or even the helmet itself are original

trenchfoot

The amount of similar scratches on all of the insignia concerns me. It looks deliberate.

Fake loops, fake chinstraps, fake paint. The overall shape of the helmet confirms Schlueter production - Schlueter never made M2s. This is one to be avoided.

Looks like a co.b. "collectibles" helmet (an Ebay seller out of Long Island NY) that has gone through a further weathering process. As stated it looks to be a Schlueter shell which never made D ring helmets

Normandy1944

Thanks for the comments guys!

Unfortunately for the buyer, the current bid is at $900 for a fake M2 helmet...

• 2 weeks later...

Someone paid $4K for a $300 repop. These three things would have helped the buyer not make this mistake: education, education, education

stealthytyler

One thing I've noticed time and time again with reproductions that have fake aging is this build up of dirt/powder looking stuff that sits at and around the base of the corking. anyone else notice this? would be curious if this stuff is easily wiped off with a dry or damp cloth?

Tyler, it is a wipe on aging patina. It can be found at hobby stores. It is used for modeling, railroaders and other faux aging projects.

4k???? Unreal, brought by someone who doesn't really care about details or research. How any collector prepared to drop this kinda cash for a helmet would fall for this pot is mind numbing

USMC-RECON0321

And there goes another future buyer of legit helmets with value once he figures this out...

As been stated above though, you would think if you're willing to spend thousands on a helmet, especially one that is listed as an online 5 or 7 day auction, you would either be educated about authenticating helmets or seek opinions of those that are before the auction ends?

And there goes another future buyer of legit helmets with value once he figures this out...

As been stated above though, you would think if you're willing to spend thousands on a helmet, especially one that is listed as an online 5 or 7 day auction, you would either be educated about authenticating helmets or seek opinions of those that are before the auction ends?

You got me, I truly do not understand.