Pearl Harbor Document/Medal?

Gary B

Hi,

It has been awhile since I have posted. A friend sent me the below document. I have heard of these but have never seen them...is this a citation for a medal, or just a letter of commendation.

Rare? Desirable?? Any idea on value (can PM me if you do not want to post price on forum)

Gary B

post-6817-0-22935600-1557934247_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Gary,

I think this citation could be seen as an equivalent to the "Letter of Commendation", for which a ribbon was authorized in 1943. I have a similar letter commending a submariner for saving someone from drowning (no idea why he didnt get a Treasury Life Saving Medal instead) in the late 20's (date from memory, could be early 30's). Mine is printed on onionskin. Pre '43, I don't know what impact they had on a career (you didn't get a ribbon), but they were certainly part of the man's official record. Someone else may know more.

Given the obvious Pearl Harbor connection, I'm sure it has value. It looks like it's part of a scrap book. Anything else in there that gives this document more context?

Best,

Josh

I agree with Josh...this is a Letter of Commendation and given at the Fleet level, resulted in his later entitlement to the Commendation Ribbon and later still, the Navy Commendation Medal.

Here's the description from the 1953 awards manual:

14. NAVY COMMENDATION RIBBON
a. The Secretary of the Navy on 11 January 1944 (AlNav-11-44) authorized the Commendation Ribbon and on 22 March 1950 established the Metal Pendant for the Commendation Ribbon. The Commendation Ribbon with Metal Pendant may be worn by authorized personnel in the same manner as prescribed for other decorations or service ribbons. All personnel of the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard who have received an individual letter of commendation signed by the Secretary of the Navy, Commander in Chief, United States Fleet, Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet or Commander in Chief, Atlantic Fleet for an act of heroism or service performed between 6 December 1941 and 11 January 1944, are automatically authorized to wear the Commendation Ribbon with Metal Pendant.
b. All personnel of the above services who subsequently received such a commendation, signed by the Secretary of the Navy or designated authorities, are authorized to wear the Commendation Ribbon with Metal Pendant provided such letter of commendation contains in the text such authorization, signifying the desire of the issuing officer to accord this privilege.
c. Only one Metal Pendant may be issued to any one person. A second and each succeeding award shall be represented by the wearing of a three-sixteenths-inch bronze star on ribbon bar and on the suspension ribbon of the pendant.

Not sure if you have his first name, but he was Carl B. Edwards, 262 62 90 from Raleigh, N.C.

Looks like he ended up on the flag allowance of Commander in Chief, US Pacific Fleet in March 1942. He drops off the muster rolls after that though.

I have a similar document for Pearl Harbor. It is definitely a commendation citation that would have been converted to a commendation medal,

Kurt