WW2 USMC M-1 & Cover - Need ID Assistance Please! Post 4

SFTROOPER86

SFTROOPER86

The brown leather liner strap is a reproduction. If anyone has an extra original one I would really appreciate a chance to purchase it from you!

The helmet has swivel buckles to hold the green chin straps. Is there any way to date the actual steel helmet itself.

With the wear, stains, and general appearance I get the feeling all the parts and pieces have been together for a long time.

With all you have seen in my posts does this make sense?

Does the dark blue sweatband, helmet liner, camo cover, and steel pot all belong together. In other words do you think this helmet could all be original and used this way during WW2?

Many thanks for any assistance!

Semper Fi!

Vince Leone

post-6407-0-94276000-1557802652_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-57879900-1557802669_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-54611300-1557802682_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
thunderbolts45

Hi Vince,the shell has green chinstraps which would put it around late 44, 45 production. Is the seam in the rear? Rear seam started in late 44. I have a late war Schlueter that looks like yours. If all those pieces have stayed together, this helmet was probably issued during the Korean war or just after. Nice lid, just remove that repro strap and you have a killer marine M1. As for the leather sweatband...I not sure

SFTROOPER86

Thank you for the info. I seem to remember it is a rear seam. The dark leather sweatband is very rare and only used for a very short time between 1943-44 so I have been told.