One more Technical observer wings badge for review.

Kilroy56

The Rooster

It gives me pause….

……...Because it looks great!! lol

Good score Kilroy!

I really like this wing, and to me it is a "one looker." Patrick, I think the hinge is normal, just some slag from where the hinge was attached to the wing. In the photo, it looks like a pin sticking up from the hinge.

Allan

Thank you for your comments , Gentlemen.

Patrick , I'll post a close up when I am back home but Allan is correct about the hinge.

Look at this thread. The TO wing from Duncan Campbell's collection seems to be very similar to this TO wing. Though I would still like to see better pictures of the hinge area, if possible. I don't have any doubts, I was just curious.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/102397-sr-balloon-pilot-bought-2-25-11-show-of-shows/

Also, I got a chance to examine another TO wing from the Campbell collection, this one being offered at FlyingTigers (just as an FYI, as I am not endorsing anything).

This one has the "STERLING" mark on the "T".

https://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/beautiful-wwii-issue-usaaf-technical-observer-wing-in-sterling-ex-duncan-campbell-collection.html

I have a question on the finish... is this known as "frost" or "frosting" ?

Technically, neither. In terms of collector jargon, either one is A-OK!

Some manufacturers would lacquer their wares after final polishing--to give them more luster and keep their bright finish longer.

When polished with a traditional rouge and buffing wheel, sterling has a very mirror-like finish.

Some manufacturers used a final polish process involving a light bead-blasting which would leave an attractive, bright matte finish.

Still other (in particular high end) manufacturers would electrochemically plate sterling silver badges with a thin layer of; Rhodium (Rh), Palladium (Pd) or even Platinum (Pt), as a final finishing process. This thin noble-metal plating gave the badges a very bright (almost like chrome) finish that would resist tarnish but was not very durable and would wear away with use over time.

Silver (Ag) reacts with Sulphur (S) compounds in the air when it tarnishes black. Beneath lacquer, the Silver is protected from reacting with atmospheric Sulphur compounds. Silver is normally very stable but can react with chemical compounds in the lacquer. This reaction oftentimes has a slightly white-cast.

Over time, as the Airmen polished their badges, much of the lacquer or plating wore away--leaving the "frosting" (or "frost") prized by collectors in the recesses of the design. When juxtaposed with polished or tarnished silver this "frosting" is often quite dramatic!

So manufacturers did not apply anything they would call "frost" or "frosting" to their badges. But certainly any collector would know exactly what you were talking about if you used either term.

Chris

digi-shots

Have you ever seen this type of “Frost” on fake wings? When I see this type of finish I feel that they are usually original and don’t hesitate in buying them.

The Rooster

Have you ever seen this type of “Frost” on fake wings? When I see this type of finish I feel that they are usually original and don’t hesitate in buying them.

Personally. I have never purchased a wing based on frosted or non frosted. Inmy humble opinion.

that is no way to judge authenticity. I clean my silver wings. Ive picked up heavily tarnished wings and cleaned them and found them to be frosted... But I dont look for it. I look for brand hallmarks and making sure they are die struck etc etc. But never on the appearance meaning frosted or not.

To me it has no bearing on my purchase. But thats me.Others may do differently.

I look at the backs and I never buy alfa numeric hallmarked wings. Im into the older wings with the brand hallmarks.

I would not be surprised to find fake frosted wings????

But maybe they are not faked as its too hard to accomplish??