Vietnam reenactors from Poland

Speedor

Not really, it's all about interchangeability. Having three rucks, two or three sets of web gear, a few uniforms and two or three gun replicas you are able to put together most Vietnam War impressions.

• 2 weeks later...

...and, for something completely different, 173rd Airborne LRRP Platoon patrol, late 1967:

EDIT: All pictures are lost

Very Nice photos Speedor. This is being pretty picky but I would suggest you have your M60 Machineguner remove the bandoleer hanger. I cant find any paperwork on it, but as far as I can tell from FMs and pictures, that long type didnt come into use untill after the war. The M60s at the time had a bandoleer hanger but it a different style and a lot shorter.

And maybe get some tracers onto those belts.

Thanks a lot for the hints, didn't know that.

That's actually me with the pig, the gun was borrowed as well as the ammo, so we didn't have any influence on that.

The Oct 1970 TM for the M60 shows the long style bandoleer hanger, but like I said, I couldnt find any picture evidence of them in use in Vietnam. And I dont know when the switch from the short to the long bandoleer was. I dont think people realize it but a lot of the M60 machineguns external components were changed over the years. During the 60s, the bi-pod yoke, barrel lock lever, selector switch, sling swivel placement, bandoleer hanger, etc... were changed. The M60s used early in Vietnam had a lot of the earlier parts.

I dont know what kind of M60 your using, but on the real ones the bandoleer hanger is pretty easy to take off.

That was an airsoft pig, made by TOP if I remember correctly.

Well, what's done is done, I'll be more watchful next time.

And thanks again for your input, gotta learn all the time :)

I dont think the TOPS hangers come off. The TOP M60 Ive seen had it molded into the recieved.

There seems to of been two types of bandoleer hangers around. One that basicly looks like a short style of the long one and one "magazine bracket" for a "magazine" not a bandoleer. Both were around before major US involvement in 1965. The barrel yoke design seems to of been changed between 62 and 64. The earlier type seems to of been around more than the other early in the war. The newer sling swivel placement (early placement was on the bottom like a rifle) appears in Vietnam around 68/69. I dont really know about the selector switch or barrel lock lever. Probably around this same time though. The long style bandoleer hanger could of been intoduced around this time too, but I just cant find anything on it being used, although I wouldnt be supprised if I saw a picture of one in like 1971 or 1972.

IMG_4091.jpg

Magazine Bracket (also note sling swivel placement).

IMG_4092-1.jpg

Bandoleer Hanger

Heres a better picture of the magazine bracket. I havent seen any but there may still be some floating around as surplus gun parts since it was a add on for the M60.

IMG_4088.jpg

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

The bandoleer hangars were useless. The bandoleers wre made of a cardboard box surrounded by the cloth bandoleer. The weight of the rounds crumpled the cardboard and the cloth would collapse as a result- This caused the ammo to hang up enough to pull on the belt. The resistance was enough to cause a feed problem. Often the belt would break or the rounds would pull on the feed mechanism and slow the bolt movement. The M60 was already a slow firing MG so slowing the bolt down via the feed mechanism caused slower movement and jams.

We used the bandoleers only for carrying the ammo and keeping it clean and available. Once you set up in a firing position you would free the ammo from the bandolier. If you had to move again you would tuck it back into the bandolier.

Rock

I dont think Ive ever seen a picture or film of a cloth bandoleer on a M60 in Vietnam before. Its always a "magazine". Theres no cardboard and the one side has metal so it wont crumple inwards. Its also made heavy duty like a rubberized pouch. I dont know how much better they were than the bandoleers though.

• 4 weeks later...
Gunney Chris

Very nice indeed guys, nice to see another group and also I must say a group in europe with more than just white members as well. Very welldone... :)

• 9 months later...

Hey, we're back! This time it's November Rangers, 173rd Airborne, circa 1970

EDIT: All pictures are lost

• 1 month later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Looks good. Carrying your weapons like real soldiers of the day. The rucksack looks heavy.

Rock

Where do you guys go for these photos? Not being familiar with Poland, I do know that it's a large country. Is this on someone in the unit's property?

Thanks and still a great job!

Capa

Thanks, everyone!

Where do you guys go for these photos? Not being familiar with Poland, I do know that it's a large country. Is this on someone in the unit's property?

Thanks and still a great job!

Capa

This particular photoshoot was made in the North of Poland, near the city of Elbląg. It's a completely wild neck of woods near a summer house of a friend. All our pictures are made either there or near Warsaw in a pretty similar wild terrain.