Green Combat Leader stripe

GIl Sanow

• 2 weeks later...

A 2-fer: The sergeant wears the green combat leader stripe on his sleeve and the colonel wears the green combat leader loop on his epaulet.

post-1963-1339355443.jpg

Staff Sergeant Mamoru Masuda, Battery C, 522d Field Artillery Battalion, receiving the Bronze Star Medal from Colonel John M. Hamilton, Commanding Officer of the 30th Field Artillery Group. August 24, 1945, Donauworth, Germany, (note: 522d FA Bn. was relieved from assignment to 442d RCT in March, 1945, and was assigned to Seventh Army until V-E Day and for occupation duty in Germany.)

A 2-fer: The sergeant wears the green combat leader stripe on his sleeve and the colonel wears the green combat leader loop on his epaulet.

post-1963-1339355443.jpg

Staff Sergeant Mamoru Masuda, Battery C, 522d Field Artillery Battalion, receiving the Bronze Star Medal from Colonel John M. Hamilton, Commanding Officer of the 30th Field Artillery Group. August 24, 1945, Donauworth, Germany, (note: 522d FA Bn. was relieved from assignment to 442d RCT in March, 1945, and was assigned to Seventh Army until V-E Day and for occupation duty in Germany.)

Wailuna,

Great post for a couple of addiitonal reasons - 1) it provides us with the first dated image of the combat leader stripe in wear and 2) it's a 442nd RCT "green striper."

Shade Ruff

Although somewhat difficult to discern given the folds and image shading, S/Sgt Walter H. Krause of the 502nd PIR, is seen wearing the green combat leader stripe under his S/Sgt rank insignia.

Shade

post-5196-1339421785.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another Green Stripe on the hoof in Switzerland (source: An R&R memory album entitled: Our Leave in Switzerland ca. 1946). The sergeant is wearing an indistinguishable SSI on his left sleeve and his unit is not otherwise identified. Elsewhere the text mentions that U.S. servicemen came to Switzerland in 1945 and 1946 on leave from their units in Germany and Italy.

post-1963-1343607617.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A 78th Infantry Division corporal wearing the green stripe. This crop is from a team picture of players and coaches of the Lightening football squad, somewhere in Germany ca. September 1945 (source: Lightening — The History of the 78th Infantry Division, p. 234, 1947 ed.)

post-1963-1344535364.jpg

These are some photos from a 104th Association Facebook group I'm a part of. This lady posted some of her father's photos on there. I think the was in the anti-tank company in the 413th Regiment. This wasn't her father but another soldier. I'm not even sure about what date theses photos are.

post-5589-0-60193100-1400688738.jpg

post-5589-0-26669300-1400688743.jpg

post-5589-0-53698400-1400688747.jpg

Here is another one out of my Collection i have got that i had forgotton completely about

Until today when i saw this Topic again! It's a Grouping Ike Jacket 6th - 3rd A.D. W/Green Leadership Stripe.

post-11464-1344541526.jpg

3rd - 6th A.D Ike Jacket Leadership-Stripe.

craig_pickrall

I was looking thru some old files and found this. I don't think I ever posted it in this thread but, for sure, I'm not going thru it again just to see.

post-5-1344543395.jpg

post-5-1344543403.jpg

...These are some photos from a 104th Association Facebook group I'm a part of....I think the was in the anti-tank company in the 413th Regiment...I'm not even sure about what date these photos are…

post-1963-1344629218.jpg

Great pix of the green stripe on that Staff Sergeant. Date WAG: ca. late spring 1945, somewhere in Germany. Can you see details in the platoon photo well enough to tell if any of the squad leaders are wearing green stripes?

Great pix of the green stripe on that Staff Sergeant. Date WAG: ca. late spring 1945, somewhere in Germany. Can you see details in the platoon photo well enough to tell if any of the squad leaders are wearing green stripes?

When I looked at the series of photos I only recall the staff sergeant being the only one with them on.

• 4 months later...

Would a SGT squad leader in the 307th AEB have had one on? While they were squad leaders in the batallion, they may not have acted as such when attached to an RCT. I'm just not sure how that worked. Any one have any insight?

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking thru some old files and found this. I don't think I ever posted it in this thread but, for sure, I'm not going thru it again just to see.

post-5-1344543395.jpg

post-5-1344543403.jpg

What is the date of this reg? The mention of sergeant major suggests post WW2. Is there an earlier mention of the tab for the eppaulet or stripe under the rank in an AR?

...Is there an earlier mention of the tab for the eppaulet or stripe under the rank in an AR?

Eisenhower approved the concept “distinctive markings” for combat commanders on his own authority ca. mid-1944. It was his intention that these insignia would be worn in theater only (i.e., ETO), accordingly, these wartime insignia were not covered by War Department directives (source: Letter from Eisenhower to Marshall, May 24, 1944. Link here).

Indeed, all of the wartime period photos of these “distinctive markings” actually being worn that are posted on this thread were taken in Europe except one evidently situated in the Z.I. (link here). A rare picture of the green stripe being worn by an NCO in postwar Japan was published by ASMIC in The Trading Post (Oct. - Dec. 2009, p. 15).

Postwar combat leaders insignia were approved Army-wide as green shoulder loop tabs for qualified warrant officers and enlisted men in 1948 and qualified officers were included in this distinction in 1950 (source: Link here).

• 3 weeks later...

Here are two interesting photos from my collection, both showing the tabs on the field jackets of NCO's of the 106th Infantry Division. Pictures taken at an award ceremony on January 20th, 1945 at Stavelot, Belgium. Also note the green backing of the stars on the shoulder of the General who is handing the medals.

post-5589-0-61691100-1400688806.jpg

post-5589-0-39022700-1400688811.jpg

Greetings,
Carl

Here are two interesting photos from my collection, both showing the tabs on the field jackets of NCO's of the 106th Infantry Division. Pictures taken at an award ceremony on January 20th, 1945 at Stavelot, Belgium. Also note the green backing of the stars on the shoulder of the General who is handing the medals.

106_tabs2_zpsc515b085.jpg

106_tabs_zps116db583.jpg

Greetings,

Carl

Carl,

These images are important contributions in that they are among the few we've seen of the green Combat Leader tabs and stripes in wear during the war as opposed to immediately thereafter.

Shade Ruff

Hi Shade,

That's what I thought too. There seem to be plenty of examples of them being worn on IKE jackets but very few on field jackets apparently. It might also be interesting to note that the men in the photos were members of the signal company.

Greetings,

Carl