Green Combat Leader stripe

GIl Sanow

ItemCo16527
Here's another nice uniform bearing the ETO combat leaders identification stripe (thanks, Johan). By my count, that makes twelve of these uniforms shown on this thread since March 1, 2007 (47 posts, including this one; 2,202+ views).

By implication, thousands of NCOs would have been entitled to wear this stripe in ETO from 1945 to 1946. Is no one able (or willing) to post a contemporaneous picture of an NCO wearing this stripe in ETO ca. 1945 (like the one shown in Post #35)?

I recall seeing a photo in Shelby Stanton's U.S. Army Uniforms of WWII which showed Patton inspecting troops after the war had ended, and there was a Staff Sergeant in the picture wearing the Combat Leader stripe under his chevrons. I don't have a scanner or else I'd be able to post it. Hopefully, someone else here has the book and a scanner and can post it for me.

GIl Sanow

This has been an interesting discussion. I had no idea when I started it a long time back that it would go on so long.

As I reviewed it today, it occured to me that returning GI's may have been issued new Ikes before discharge. If this happened, I doubt the stripes were put on, and I question whether they would have been permitted stateside. If, on the otherhand, soldiers wore the jackets issued in Europe home, then the stripes would be present, or if they were in unpacked duffel bags the situation would be the same.

I agree that photographic evidence here would be the best. I also suspect that not all units wore them or wore them on both sleeves.

Keep it going guys.

G

ItemCo16527
Just scrolled thru the book and couldn't locate that picture, sorry...

Thanks for checking Johan. Perhaps it was another book I'm thinking of. I can see the photo clearly in my mind, but now I'm lost as to what book it's in. Have to do some digging this weekend when I have some free time. The hunt is on!

• 6 months later...
...I recall seeing a photo...which showed Patton inspecting troops after the war had ended, and there was a Staff Sergeant in the picture wearing the Combat Leader stripe under his chevrons....

Here it is, Jeff (link to source):

post-1963-1258318463.jpg

And all you fortunate ASMIC members can see another rare sighting of "the stripe" in the newest Trading Post (Oct. - Dec. 2009, p. 15). This one is worn by a 7th ID NCO on occupation duty in Japan ca. 1946/8.

Hi All,

I have had 3 or for uniforms with the "combat leader" stripes on them, all ETO ones. This is the only one I have left I think. He was a "light mortor NCO 607, CO. L, 5TH INF., 71ST DIV. ETO service 6FEB45 to 1MAR46

It is only on one side. All German made insignia.

Terry

post-629-1258564658.jpg

post-629-1258564728.jpg

post-629-1258564763.jpg

I have several Ike Jackets with the green combat leader stripes on them. Because I am 'image posting challenged' I can't share them with you...

One thought.. I have stayed away from jackets that have the unmistakable 'pool table' green felt on them. I've yet to see a no-doubt-about (i.e., Vet obtained) that has the pool table green felt on it. My two cents.

Rich

Example in my collection...

29thInfDiv_1_6.jpg

Thanks, Ricardo, for posting another period photograph of a "green stripe" on the hoof. That makes three posted in this thread: #35, #57, and yours, #59, and one other recent sighting in ASMIC Trading Post (Oct. - Dec. 2009, p. 15). Anyone else?

• 5 weeks later...
Johan Willaert
Example in my collection... :thumbsup:

29thInfDiv_1_6.jpg

Nice Ricardo... Is the 29th Four pocket tunic also his???

Do you have his history??? In the right picture he has 174IR DUI, in the left he's with the 29ID???

Thanks,

Johan

• 6 months later...

Looks like Ike liked "green stripes" enough to write Gen. Marshall about them too:

post-1963-1279958135.jpg

Source: Hobbs, Joseph Patrick. 1971. Dear General: Eisenhower's wartime letters to Marshal. Joseph Patrick Hobbs. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins press.

Does anyone have other pix to show here of GIs actually wearing the enlisted version of these "combat commander" stripes?

• 3 months later...

I've really enjoyed these "green stripes" for years, and equally enjoyed this thread when it started years back. - Meant to post this uniform then; finally getting around to it.

If anyone has an 87th Division unit history and / or roster, I could use some help . . . if alphabetical roster shows home of record, his last name begins with "P" and the last four of his ASN are "7048". Home of record is likely somewhere in Oregon, perhaps Klamath Falls.

A number of "green stripe" Ike's have come my way over the years. But all have been buck sergeant or higher in rank. The jacket still shows where collar brass was, and where what looks like a row of ribbons and possibly a CIB were affixed. - And a "maybe" for DI's.

Jacket is QM dated May, '44. - Machine sewn Ruptered Duck, corporal chev's, and o/seas stripes. Hand sewn 87th, with hand sewn green stripes on both sleeves.

post-6057-1289169092.jpg

A couple more to follow . . .

Paul

Hand sewn wool green stripes on each sleeve, of same style as a couple of others earlier posted:

post-6057-1289170224.jpg

Thanks in advance for any roster help available ! :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Oregon

• 4 months later...
90thDivHistory

I just found this thread and wanted to show a recent example of the green leadership stripe on an Ike I got before it is moved on to someone that really likes 84th Div, stuff. It is named to Joseph R. Arruda who was a squad leader with L Co. 335th Inf. 84th Div. It also came with his shirt that has the leadership stripes as well as a 4 pocket, shirt, belt and a couple of overseas caps, and a rain poncho. It is only the second one with these stripes that I have owned, my other is also fully identified to soldier in the 11th Armored Div, and named to Calvin Cornell. (Pics of that one to come when I can find them)

I picked this up on Ebay a week or two ago because it was reasonably priced, and to be honest, because the seller had an original Waffen SS reversible cap sitting in the corner of one of the photos and apparently had no idea what it was. In an e-mail he asked me if i wanted the "camo hunting cap", because he was not sure it went with the "army stuff". His description for a great named grouping was as follows:

This auction is for a large grouping of antique items from World War 2. The lot consists of 2 jackets sized 37s and 38s, 2 shirts, 3 hats,a shelter half and a few other small items. They appear to be in good condition with normal expected wear. They show a lot of attached patches and stripes. This is from a local estate so we do not have any other background on this lot.

Everything looks like it just came out of a duffle bag from a basement in Mass. (which is exactly where it was sold from and where Arruda was from) All of it is named and laundry marked, just a real great grouping. Man sometimes you have to love the estate sale/picker people that have no clue about what they found.

Enjoy,

Tyler Alberts

post-2231-1301592604.jpg

• 6 months later...

Here is another period sighting of the elusive "green stripe" actually being worn. Caption with photo: Soldier of the 42nd Infantry Division at ease with British, French, and Russian colleagues, Occupation Duty, Vienna, Austria, 1945.

post-1963-1318756335.jpg

• 7 months later...
Shade Ruff

My contribution. A stone mint named Ike to a 778th Tank Battalion S/Sgt. He was then assigned to the 406th Infantry Regiment, 102nd Infantry Division at war's end. Laundry mark is a spot-on match.

Highlights:

- Woolie Armored Force patch with neat, bold-stitched 778 (in patch's upper gold area) on right shoulder.

- Cut edge 102nd Infantry Division patch.

- What appear to be felt hand-sewn green combat leader stripes.

- Type V U.S. discs with clutch backs that are all flat flaced without face markings of any kind.

- Theater-made 406th Infantry Regiment screwback metal DUIs from a firm in Nuernberg. I've never seen screws that small - engineering as only the Germans can do!

- Pin back PUC; single pin back AGCM with second award clasp (don't see these all too often); triple pin back ribbon bar with EAME (three bronze service stars), WW II Victory and American Theater Campaign ribbons affixed. All four ribbons are plastic covered.

- Silk screened Ruptured Duck on cloth.

- Insignia of rank, OSBs and service stripe are all very nice.

It's as if this uniform was taken off when the named vet returned CONUS, placed in a sealed container and not removed until decades later. Included were a period wool shirt with S/Sgt rank insignia and woolie Armored Force patch on right shoulder (no 778 stitching on this one) and a pair of Trousers, Field Wool Serge.

As we know, the combat leader stripes are not seen all too often on period uniforms. This is the first time I've come across them as worn by a separate tank battalion veteran.

My only question is why the uniform displays two U.S. discs and not a branch of service disc. Could it have been because of the armor guy suddenly cast into an infantryman's world stigma?

Shade

post-5196-1337974941.jpg