Green Combat Leader stripe

GIl Sanow

Felt Shoulder Epaulettes Loops with Signal Piping and Alaska Tab. Another View.

Felt Shoulder Epaulettes Loops with Signal Piping and Alaska Tab. Very Interesting.

Interesting indeed.

• 7 months later...

Holy Moly, Sean where did you get this image?, he was one of my Company Drill Sergeants at Ft Benning Jan-April 1980. Poe if I'm not mistaken, I recall he was a grunt in an Air Cav unit in Nam, this exact same photo would appear in our yearbook, but in Black and White, and I don't have the book anymore, basically gave up trying to find it.

http://porterloring.tributes.com/obituary/show/Doyle-Glenn-Poe-106967000

post-1761-0-79702900-1514909839.jpg

Felt Shoulder Epaulettes Loops with Signal Piping and Alaska Tab. Another View.

HEY! Is this Joe! If so, where did you get the green epaulette loops? I may something connected to this set!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just picked this tunic up from a source who had no idea what it was.  Didn't even know it was WW2.  I've collected militaria for over 20 years and have never owned a Combat Leader striped tunic.  Then when I went through the pockets I found a nice surprise inside, a killer breast eagle!  Unfortunately there's no name or number written inside.

61965714554__E245B335-E70D-483C-820E-1CC71583CE97.jpg

61965715902__9BACAA12-75DC-4284-9540-B03A54E32A58.jpg

61965717611__88C4A177-14BE-4347-86C1-5C131E45FD1A.jpg

61965722502__50A5E8D1-FF42-4024-9573-0E3D2E1F64FC.jpg

3 hours ago, mseagle said:

Thanks! No, unfortunately.  Just a nice 1944 dated tag on the inside of the pocket.

Did you look inside toward the ends of the sleeves or inside the cuffs?

BILL THE PATCH

The 76th div patch isa British made version. Has a lighter grey bdr. Nice pickup

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

The NCO of the 7th Infantry Division in the center appears to be wearing a leadership stripe. I have no further information on this photo, but based on their divisional insignia, all are veterans of the Pacific War. I have no idea where this was taken, but my guess would be stateside immediately after the war. Does this indicate the stripes were also worn in the Pacific? 

NCO's.World War II.jpg

It looks like they're wearing two pairs of collar brass and DI on the shoulder loops, but no reduced size blue/gold stripes yet, so I'd guess '47-'48.

BILL THE PATCH
The NCO of the 7th Infantry Division in the center appears to be wearing a leadership stripe. I have no further information on this photo, but based on their divisional insignia, all are veterans of the Pacific War. I have no idea where this was taken, but my guess would be stateside immediately after the war. Does this indicate the stripes were also worn in the Pacific? 
1812186129_NCOs.WorldWarII.jpg.853de5dab116b11893283692f9df899a.jpg
I wonder what else was in the picture or who I should say, I see hand coming in behind the 11th Abn guy.

On 3/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, Justin B. said:

It looks like they're wearing two pairs of collar brass and DI on the shoulder loops, but no reduced size blue/gold stripes yet, so I'd guess '47-'48.

My sense is the photo more likely dates to the early 1950s/Korean War timeframe as all the unit patches depicted were Army divisions that were actively engaged in that conflict.  The photo was likely taken in the Korean theater of operations.  The sheer number of overseas service bars several of the NCOs wear suggests they served in both WWII and Korea (not to mention the 1SG with WWI service).  As I understand it, wear of the overseas service bar on the right sleeve did not commence until sometime in 1953.

Shade

I'm with Justin B on this, Occupation Period, all Japan Based Units, but, it would be sometime in 1948, because the 7th Inf Div was not in Japan for occupation duty, it was in Korea, went there from the start after the war ended, a part of XXIV Corps, along with the Corps' other divisions, the 6th and 40th Inf Divs, in time the 40th went home, the 6th too, the 7th however remained, it was withdrawn sometime in 1948 to Japan, its place taken by the 5th Regimental Combat Team, who in turn were withdrawn, and sent to Hawaii.

That these Sarges are wearing the large size chevrons, means the new small 1948 Reg ones have not issued out yet, or they being old timers eschewed wearing them, as there are photos of Senior Sergeants wearing the old ones in the 48-51 period despite it all.

On 2/26/2021 at 1:40 PM, carbinephalen said:

There is a chance that he was in an ETO unit then transferred to the 7th! That would be my guess

On 3/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, Justin B. said:

22 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

I wonder what else was in the picture or who I should say, I see hand coming in behind the 11th Abn guy.

21 hours ago, Shade Ruff said:

My sense is the photo more likely dates to the early 1950s/Korean War timeframe as all the unit patches depicted were Army divisions that were actively engaged in that conflict.  The photo was likely taken in the Korean theater of operations.  The sheer number of overseas service bars several of the NCOs wear suggests they served in both WWII and Korea (not to mention the 1SG with WWI service).  As I understand it, wear of the overseas service bar on the right sleeve did not commence until sometime in 1953.

Shade

10 hours ago, patches said:

I'm with Justin B on this, Occupation Period, all Japan Based Units, but, it would be sometime in 1948, because the 7th Inf Div was not in Japan for occupation duty, it was in Korea, went there from the start after the war ended, a part of XXIV Corps, along with the Corps' other divisions, the 6th and 40th Inf Divs, in time the 40th went home, the 6th too, the 7th however remained, it was withdrawn sometime in 1948 to Japan, its place taken by the 5th Regimental Combat Team, who in turn were withdrawn, and sent to Hawaii.

That these Sarges are wearing the large size chevrons, means the new small 1948 Reg ones have not issued out yet, or they being old timers eschewed wearing them, as there are photos of Senior Sergeants wearing the old ones in the 48-51 period despite it all.

I agree with the analysis that this photo was taken in the late 40's to early 50's. Nevertheless, I don't think there's any doubt it is in the Pacific and we do see one of the sergeants wearing the green leadership stripe. Unless he first wore it in Europe during World War II and just never removed it through subsequent assignements, which I find hard to believe, I think at the very least this is evidence that they were worn by some Pacific/Korean based units.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
seanmc1114

Major General Terry Allen, commander of the 104th Infantry Division, upon returning to the U.S. in 1945. His leadership tabs appear narrower than the normal ones.

104th Infantry Division.Terry Allen.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

An example of the Green Leadership Loops won by a general, Major General Joseph B. Fraser commander of the old 48th Infantry Division of the National Guard, photo fom te summer of 1955.

t190th_tk_48th_div.jpg