Germantown 1778 - Ansbach-Bayreuth troops in Amerika

Backtheattack

Backtheattack

Visited the local Museum at Weidenberg near Bayreuth/Bavaria. It`s a Museum under private ownership dealing with the former garrison and military units at Bayreuth. While visiting I noticed 2 dioramas dealing with the american war of independence. First one dealing with the battle of Grmantown, May 18., 1778. Ansbach-Bayreuth infantry and Jäger fighting with troops under General Washington. Hessian troops are well known, but there where other soldiers from different earls who fight there. Ansbach-Bayreuth was an county reigned by Earl Alexander von Ansbach-Bayreuth who need money because of the so called Seven-Years-War.

post-104851-0-70530500-1557649747_thumb.jpg

Backtheattack

post-104851-0-22665900-1557649789_thumb.jpg

At February 28., 1777, he sends his sold troops to Amerika. The troops under Oberst von Eyb were Regiment Bayreuth (650 soldiers), Regiment Ansbach (650 soldiers), Jägers (100 soldiers) and 4 canon with 40 soldiers. They arrived at June 3., 1777.

Old Marine

That's a very nice, well done diorama. Thanks for posting it. I grew up and lived about 4 miles for where the battle was fought. This is recent issue Army battle streamer for the Battle of Germantown. I have kept it because this battle was so near where I lived.

Thanks for the photos.

Dennis

post-2843-0-17742300-1558285506_thumb.jpg

This diorama has so many elements. It immediately grabs your attention. I love the painted figures.

Semper Fi.

Manny

manayunkman

Are the figures flats?

Very strong German presence in PA.

Thanks for posting.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that there's a lone Indian in the mix there.

In reality, at the battle of Barren Hill (May 17, 1778 - see https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/battle-of-barren-hill-pennsylvania ) Lafayette assigned the 50 Oneida warriors attached to his command a screening mission. They pushed as far south east as Port Royal Avenue along the Ridge road.

There they encountered British General Grant's leading troops - possibly Hessian grenadiers.

Each side took one look at the other, said "what?" (naked savages! scary mustaches and brass mitres!) then fired a volley and fell back.

There use to be a Pennsylvania historical marker commemorating this skirmish by the Roxborough Presbyterian church.

Ask me how I know all this...

Additional readings on those Ansbach-Bayreuth troops

http://exulanten.com/delta.html

http://www.hasselbacher.org/hazelbaker/peter/muster/muster.html

Backtheattack

manayunkman, #1 and #2, in this pics the figures are flat, #3 is a diorama with full figures, think in 1:35.

• 1 month later...

Interesting, thanks for posting.

There's a battle diorama in the Bennington Needle of Braunschwigers at this battle, that was cool, scale if I recall like 1/25.

• 2 years later...

Was able to grab one photo of the Bennington Battle Diorama, from the Continental side, the Braunschweigers off in the distance in formation.

us-bennington-battle-day-01.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...