24th Cavalry Division patch and proper ID

JerseyDevil117

JerseyDevil117

I just picked this one up and was wondering if this one is real. I was thinking maybe late ww1?

24ew611.jpg

fkbiu9.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

That's an odd bird, backing is weird. I'm sure someone knows about this style

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Its a copy, probably got wet or was soaked in tea. Ive seen these before, the felt on the front is new. Compare it with felt you see on real 40s patches

This is not a 21st Cavalry Division patch that some knothead soaked in tea to "age" it.

Those of you in ASMIC should know that this is a 24th Cavalry Div patch. The 21st Cav Div never had a patch. We have pubbed two articles on the 24th Cav Div patch (Jul-Sept 2012 "Battle of the Rosebuds" and Apr-Jun 2018 "The Rosebud Saga Revisited" . Both are "Interwar Jives" contributions.

The 1944 Officer's Guide screwed this up and no one, except the author of these articles, did his due diligence. Every other book "author" neglected basic research, repeated the error, and so we have this continuing mix up of patches. There was a design created for the 21st Cav Div, but it looks nothing like this, was never made and never worn.

Yes, there are theater made versions of the 24th Cav Div - every one I have seen so far has been German made (from a 1943 Natl Geo, which got it right). This is not TM; just a US made patch someone messed with.

kiaiokalewa

Jiving away is what I enjoy doing the most. Those two articles took over a decade of research to get the facts straight! The articles are loaded with period pixs and doxs. Actually the original "Battle of the Rosebuds" did cascaded into several other articles that have a remote connection that also corrected other long time identification errors including one that is upcoming in the summer issue of the Trading Post. So yes, the "Rosebuds" did spawn quite a few other Interwar Jives articles for me to write about.

Tredhed is correct. After market theater made examples were a result of copying the National Geographic color patch plates and primarily from the German market. However, one must not forget the stunning Hashimoto haul that hit the market several years ago. Here too the Geographic was used to illustrate to potential clients his abilities in making Shoulder Insignia.

Here's perhaps the only other true theater made example floating out there (made shortly after WWII) that is Japanese in origin.

Aloha,

John

post-1384-0-36665000-1558290512_thumb.jpg

post-1384-0-53633200-1558290532_thumb.jpg