M1A1 AIM

Philip

thanks guys. i painted them with a permanent marker on the inside (these are clear parts).

This is how I do the laser resistant vision blocks.

base coat of gloss gold.

then over that paint transparent red

Also give it a coat of flat (lusterless) clear coat. The original paint is very flat.

You also need to remove those wooden crated from the rear of the turret roof. They are sitting on top of the blast off panels that are there. What those panels do is if the ammo in the rear of the turret catch fire and cook off, the blast and pressure goes up. That helps to protect the crew.

good job.

• 5 weeks later...

Just one point to consider on your next models. Stowage on a vehicle is a critical issue, they travel off road at high speeds, anything not firmly tied down is lost right away, and you have to make sure it doesnt get in the way of anything that needs to function. Most models I see just show things laying around, and the first time the vehicle took a curve all of it would fly off into the ditch. When you depict stowage have it tied down or secured to look realistic for an actual combat vehicle.

Great model, but I also noticed items not tied down, like Nuke 41mentioned. I have noticed you can always tell when someone builds a model (or paints a picture) and has actually used the thing being represented. With model building, people model vehicles and aircraft the way they're used if they have used them in real life. Many model builders will argue paint schemes with one another yet have no idea they put the flaps on upside down on an airplane or have lose items sitting on a tank in action. I once looked at the entries for a model contest and immediately pointed out the vehicle that was built by a real life tank crewman. The contest folks asked how I could tell, and I pointed out that all the gear was lashed down tight and out of the way of moving parts and pointed out the 1/35 scale igloo cooler and folding chair (lashed down with scale bungee and 100-mile-an-hour tape). I said nobody but a tanker would think to model that. Turns out, the guy who built it was standing ten feet away and the folks asking questions were trying to get me to say something to embarrass myself. The guy heard my comments and came over and shook my hand. Yes, he was a retired tank crewman NCO! I really wish someone would make 1/35 scale igloo coolers, folding chairs and boxes of Raman noodles or canned stuff. When I was in a mechanized Brigade, all the tanks we saw going to the field had these lased to the turrets! Another detail lacking from most models is the driver and TC names/ranks painted at the correct places on the vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...
I once looked at the entries for a model contest and immediately pointed out the vehicle that was built by a real life tank crewman. The contest folks asked how I could tell, and I pointed out that all the gear was lashed down tight and out of the way of moving parts and pointed out the 1/35 scale igloo cooler and folding chair (lashed down with scale bungee and 100-mile-an-hour tape). I said nobody but a tanker would think to model that.

Classic story. I built years ago, but never to this level of expertise. But I noticed over the years a tendency of modelers to get carried away with extra gear. I think the only scenario for when you would bunches of stuff loose on a vehicle is when it is getting loaded up or when the gear is being broken out. Whether on a road march or in combat, the stuff would be tied down or lost.

The igloo cooler and folding chair are a nice touch and more realistic than some of the super troop stuff you see on some models. Modelers forget that the average GI will do anything he can to be more comfortable in the field.

forum81117h0a.jpg

i've got a question to all the tankers: should i add some "smoke" on the barrel? many modelers do it but is it really that realistic?

thank you.