Sack coat, real or repro?

Hi. I picked this up with a bunch of other items. I’m pretty sure it’s a repro, but I don’t have much experience with these coats. ThanksPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Are the buttons real?

Capt.Confederacy

Thanks for the replies. Are the buttons real?

They look like they could be genuine Indian Wars period pieces. Horstmann (if memory serves correctly) was a manufacturer of military buttons for the post - Civil War period. You would have to check the backmarks of all the buttons to be sure.

Horstmann was around before and after the war, but this style of General Service button is post war, showing up no earlier than about 1875, but you'd be hard pressed to find one until late in the 1870s as old stock was being used up. The style remained in use until 1902. Value wise, I'd put them at about $3 each.

The coat's lining appears to be cotton muslin, not something found in Civil War era originals. Safe to say it's a repro, but does appear they used original buttons, just not Civil War era buttons.

Thanks. I’m considering this jacket good for only it’s buttons for a future repair if needed on a real coat.

• 4 months later...