Best M1 Reference Book?

m1a2u2

I know there is a reference section on this but I was wondering if there is a consensus as to the best M1 helmet book. I've heard there are a few out there that have some inaccuracies.

The M-1 Helmet of the World War II GI by Pieter Oosterman.

It only covers fixed-loop helmets though.

Nickman983

I'll second The M-1 Helmet of the World War II GI by Pieter Oosterman. Has a lot of good information on fix bails and a lot of information about the different types of liners and their hardware. Very useful for trying to date a liner, sweatband, or nape strap.

As aef1917 mentioned, it only focuses on fixed bail helmets, so it would be worth while supplementing it with another book that's a bit broader

I'll second The M-1 Helmet of the World War II GI by Pieter Oosterman. Has a lot of good information on fix bails and a lot of information about the different types of liners and their hardware. Very useful for trying to date a liner, sweatband, or nape strap.

As aef1917 mentioned, it only focuses on fixed bail helmets, so it would be worth while supplementing it with another book that's a bit broader

Any recommendations on a broader book?

That is the best book in my opinion. You would have to supplement with the other books available. My second favorite book is the Helmets of the ETO. Both of these are my go to reference books.

The forum is a great place to view helmets and liners and learn from what is here. You won't find a better variety of helmets than what you see here from WWI to present. You can't buy a book with all the examples you'll find here.

The M-1 Helmet: A History of the U.S. M-1 Helmet in World War II by Mark A. Reynosa

Mark performed the first in depth research into the subject. This book is the most comprehensive and provides solid references to its topics. If Mark's books have a down side to them it is because Mark is an Engineer and his writing style is that of an Engineer and that the pictures were not high end studio shot. Helmet books on the M1 that follow this publication may have some new information and far better photographs but I guarantee all of them lean heavily on Mark's first book as a foundation reference.

wildcat123

Ill second the Reynosa books. Great series with lots of great info in the text... but Im an engineer my education.?