MACV-SOG captured NVA sneakers

jlhworks

I picked these up at an antique store I check out every time I head out of state for work. I actually had been in it a week prior, but stopped in to pick up something for a friend. I was in a hurry and just happened to pass a case and saw these sitting in there. I knew right away they were 50's to 60's chicom low-heel sneakers. Once I got the owner to open the case, I saw the tag and here's the best part. They had all the info of the vet who brought them back, and they were only 15 bucks!

I am pretty sure the name on the tag is Bob Van Hall, 1-0 of RT Texas. I believe he was recently killed while on duty with the New York State Police. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I've never seen a pair of early Chicom made NVA sneakers like this before, they may date back to the Viet Minh.

post-160076-0-88298300-1557097976_thumb.jpg

post-160076-0-88894200-1557098050_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

Wow. Would love to find a pair for my display. So great the GI info was with them!

Paul

These sneakers look almost exactly like a pair that I purchased about a year ago.

I bought these for my own personal use in late June of 2018 when I was working up in Thanh Hoa Province in the country side at a village "flea market". The vendor had a lot of old Vietnamese Army issue clothing items (very popular with the farmers and laborers). Interestingly enough, mines is stamped "USMC" on the inside.

Any markings on yours?

-Khang

post-154926-0-73725400-1557108148_thumb.jpg

These sneakers look almost exactly like a pair that I purchased about a year ago.

I bought these for my own personal use in late June of 2018 when I was working up in Thanh Hoa Province in the country side at a village "flea market". The vendor had a lot of old Vietnamese Army issue clothing items (very popular with the farmers and laborers). Interestingly enough, mines is stamped "USMC" on the inside.

Any markings on yours?

-Khang

Those are really odd. They are probably post Vietnam War PLA sneakers, maybe from the border war. They still make sneakers like that today, you can find them on ebay. If you look closely there are several very different aspects between the two pairs. PLA sneakers did not change much from the 50s through the 80s.

The only markings on mine are the factory numbers on the soles, and I noticed there looks to be have once been a label inside but gone.

vintageproductions

I would be scared of anything related to Van hall.

When his group of items were sold almost 20 years ago, there were bags of extra insignia that miraculously all ended up on uniforms that weren't Van Hall's and were sold to many unsuspecting collectors.

I would be scared of anything related to Van hall.

When his group of items were sold almost 20 years ago, there were bags of extra insignia that miraculously all ended up on uniforms that weren't Van Hall's and were sold to many unsuspecting collectors.

That's a shame, but not surprising at all.

I don't have any qualms about these sneakers, I think at 15 bucks they were more than a bargain.

SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

NO . EXPERT . Many years ago in PHX there were stores that sold all manner of surplus . Around 1974 -75 I bought 2 new pair

of these advertised as Israeli Desert Boots . Wore them out . I got big feet and they fit me fine . Most Viets were on the petite side