Post WW2 VMF-323 Death Rattlers patch

Pbaczuk

mortaydc60

This is apparently made well after WW2 since it has a merrow edge and maybe a reunion item. Designation changed to VMFA in 1964 so using commonly accepted date of late 60's for start of merrow edge use this has to be a reunion item made for collectors

MilitaryPicker1941

This is apparently made well after WW2 since it has a merrow edge and maybe a reunion item. Designation changed to VMFA in 1964 so using commonly accepted date of late 60's for start of merrow edge use this has to be a reunion item made for collectors

There were merrow edge patches made in WWII and the post-WWII era, albeit they werent as common. This one looks like it could be good to me. Is there a pigtail on the back?

mortaydc60

Are you saying that this is a WW2 issue patch or even just post war? Our forum authority on the forum Walika and Millstein state that WW2 issue was a decal on leather.

MilitaryPicker1941

Are you saying that this is a WW2 issue patch or even just post war? Our forum authority on the forum Walika and Millstein state that WW2 issue was a decal on leather.

Dont think its WWII but it looks like it could be late 40s-mid 50s

mortaydc60

this was made no earlier than 1970 for sure and most likely later than that from construction and art work detail. blacklight the patch and bet it glows.

Mules book states it is from 1962, just before they changed to VMFA. His book is not always correct to vintage but I think in this case it probably is. I dont see any reason that this patch cant be from the early 60s.

mortaydc60

highly doubt from early 60's based on fact it has a marrow edge,the art work looks period 80-90's as well as the construction. really think it is attempt to be passed off as early patch and imho it is not investment grade.

FT.Monmouth1943

I don't see why this couldn't be a VMF-323 patch from the 1950's or early 60's. There are plenty of examples of patches from that era that have merrow edges. Just out of curiosity, what's the patch to the left of the VMF one?

FT.Monmouth1943

I don't see why this couldn't be a VMF-323 patch from the 1950's or early 60's. There are plenty of examples of patches from that era that have merrow edges. Just out of curiosity, what's the patch to the left of the VMF one?

Just saw the patch in your other post. Nice group!

mortaydc60

I am sorry but can not let this incorrect information go unchallenged. There are not plenty of patches in the 1950's and early 60's with merrow edged. There was only a handful during WW2 and they were a different type of marrow edge. It is commonly accepted that use of the current style merrow edge did not start until 1968 roughly.

FT.Monmouth1943

The other patch is a much later... backing, construction and all... Navy VS-24 anti submarine squadron patch.

mortaydc60

Thought forum might like to see Korean era patches of unit. The VMA unit is from June 1952 era and Japanese made quilted and bullion example and the other appears to be Japanese made also.

post-565-0-56397400-1557619270_thumb.jpg

post-565-0-03834600-1557619288_thumb.jpg