Americas first draft

Air Force Brat

post-220386-0-67151200-1556989648.jpg
I have always loved paper goods, of any kind. Stamps old magazines newspapers, posters, currency etc...
My local collectors galleries has a weekly bid board and I saw and old cancelled check up for bid not too long ago. You know the elaborate ornate old kind. Well aside from the fact it was dated 1860 (civil war era) which I always keep an eye out for, this one was eye catching. So I bid and got it relatively cheap.

It was actually a deposit slip for 500 dollars from a James D. Pickert ESQ to the bank of
Ilion, herkimer county N.Y..
Did a little research on the name, turns out James D Pickert was one of the first people drafted in to the civil war. Apparently the draft was met with some violent riots since it had been found wealthy people simply paid someone else in their stead to appear and go forth. This link is lengthy but well worth the read if you are a civil war enthusiast. It is taken from local newspapers and documents about the whole process and lists James D. Pickert as one of the 50 plus conscripted because Fairfield was lacking their quota.
https://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/counties/herkimer/herkimer_CWN.htm

post-220386-0-83585500-1556986580.jpg

skypilot6670

Nice piece. I have a Corps Badge that the soldier was a substitute and then deserted. People don’t think much about the draft and it’s problems during the civil war but it was similar to the 1960s and the Viet Nam war , a lot of resistance. Thanks for posting. Mike

GIl Sanow

My great great grandfather, Daniel Sanders of Northumberland County, PA was drafted 4 times. He and his two brothers agreed he should stay home and look after all three families after they volunteered. He hired substitutes 3 times when drafted, but went on active duty when drafted the fourth time in the fall of 1864 at the age of 35 and with 4 children, serving with the 203rd P.V. I. He was involved with the siege of Richmond, then was shipped to North Carolina where his regiment was part of the attack on Fort Fisher. He came down with typhoid fever, was sent to an Army hospital in New York where he died about 10 days after Lee's surrender.

G

Air Force Brat

Nice piece. I have a Corps Badge that the soldier was a substitute and then deserted. People don’t think much about the draft and it’s problems during the civil war but it was similar to the 1960s and the Viet Nam war , a lot of resistance. Thanks for posting. Mike

I'd love to see the badge, stuff from that era makes me feel like I have gold fever. Ya until I read this I didnt know it was not only our first draft but how corrupt it was and the civil unrest it created, I read somewhere also more Americans died in the civil war than did in every war since.

Air Force Brat

My great great grandfather, Daniel Sanders of Northumberland County, PA was drafted 4 times. He hired substitutes 3 times, but went on active duty in the fall of 1864 at the age of 35 and with 4 children, serving with the 203rd P.V. I. He was involved with the siege of Richmond, then was shipped to North Carolina where his regiment was part of the attack on Fort Fisher. He came down with typhoid fever, was sent to an Army hospital in New York where he died about 10 days after Lee's surrender.

G

Yikes what a cool story, I can trace roots on my moms side to the Primrose, 1652 from England to Salem Mass. I think he (relative) was chased out by Quakers and went to NY lol

skypilot6670

Air Force brat. I have to retrieve the badge from a safe deposit box , but will post it in a couple of days. Thanks Mike

Red Devil

If I may contribute it here, I would like to share an original 1863 draft notice. This has a travel voucher on the reverse for the draftee to travel. My research found that the draftee reported as ordered. He does not appear in any muster rolls that I can find...but I found that his mill made a lot of money off of army contracts during the war, so that may be where he spent the war instead.

post-9214-0-96049600-1557365381.jpg

post-9214-0-65233900-1557365400.jpg

Yikes what a cool story, I can trace roots on my moms side to the Primrose, 1652 from England to Salem Mass. I think he (relative) was chased out by Quakers and went to NY lol

I do believe you mean Puritans rather then Quakers, Quakers were oppressed in Massachusetts as well as Romans, In fact they were run out of the colony, Roman Priests in particular on pain of death if they ever returned.

Air Force Brat

Air Force brat. I have to retrieve the badge from a safe deposit box , but will post it in a couple of days. Thanks Mike

No worries

skypilot6670

I'd love to see the badge, stuff from that era makes me feel like I have gold fever. Ya until I read this I didnt know it was not only our first draft but how corrupt it was and the civil unrest it created, I read somewhere also more Americans died in the civil war than did in every war since.

. Heres the corps badge I was referring to.I like it because it is a number 1 for the First Delaware. Hobarts story is interesting because if he had stayed with the unit he only had 2 days to go. Lee surrendered on the 9th of April and Hobart deserted on the 7th.The Veterans in the Army of the Potomac were very hard on the bounty men. They were not well received until they had proven them selves and the First Delaware was a hard fought unit in Hancocks Second Corps. Hobart must have had some unit pride as he purchased a Corp badge. So I dont think he was a bounty jumper ( professional deserter enlisting many times and deserting) I believe as Lincoln said when referring to men who ran from combat His legs seem to have gotten the better of him His unit was heavily engaged at High Bridge. And he took to his heels post-137056-0-23677700-1557419201_thumb.jpeg

Air Force Brat

If I may contribute it here, I would like to share an original 1863 draft notice. This has a travel voucher on the reverse for the draftee to travel. My research found that the draftee reported as ordered. He does not appear in any muster rolls that I can find...but I found that his mill made a lot of money off of army contracts during the war, so that may be where he spent the war instead.

WOW, That is an awesome piece. I'm glad to see others that collect paper, theres nothing like old documents especially from that time period. I have one from upstate New York dated 1770 its very fragile but talks in part about bequeathing part of his estate to a relative valued in schillings .

If you ever decide to let that go please contact me. Absolutely great find, I'd love to have that in my collection. Have you ever seen any others? It was my understanding the draft didnt start until 1862 and in NY I believe the link I posted were the first, as riots were still going on. I'm trying to find out when they started producing those notices. I dont think they did in the beginning, I thought I read initially all eligible men were to show up in the town square where the provost marshall chose on the spot. If thats true, yours might be one of the first official notices. hmmmmmm

Thank you for sharing that.

Air Force Brat

Cool, Seems like a few others were asking the same questions as me.

As near as I can find the link I posted were the first conscripted. It listed info from newspapers and counties all over New York. And they were either formed into a new local unit or added to an existing one. I'm still trying to figure out when they started those draft notices. I think that was a afterthought and didnt have those initially. It would be a worthwhile thing to know.

Thanks

Air Force Brat

I do believe you mean Puritans rather then Quakers, Quakers were oppressed in Massachusetts as well as Romans, In fact they were run out of the colony, Roman Priests in particular on pain of death if they ever returned.

Nope I meant Quakers, this was early / mid 1650's the Puritans only started in on the Quakers violently late in 1659, the ones that were just now coming over from England Those Quakers were not meek and mild innocents who just wanted to talk. They were as righteous a group of zealots as most Puritans, and when they entered a Massachusetts town they tried to wreak maximum havoc: bursting into church services, yelling in the streets, banging pots and pans together, and even stripping off their clothes (to show their lack of attachment to worldly things).

The Puritans reacted with vehement rejection, and submitted Quakers who would not heed the warnings to leave and never return to terrible punishments. Boring holes through their tongues was just one of these.

The Quakers, then, were a radical and alarming people who went into New England with the express mission to destroy the Puritan way and introduce their own religious beliefs. They were just as feverishly devoted to Quakerism as the Puritans were fanatically devoted to Puritanism.

DO YOU KNOW HOW THEY GOT THE NAME “Quakers” because they would go into convulsive fits during their worship services.

Nope I meant Quakers, this was early / mid 1650's the Puritans only started in on the Quakers violently late in 1659, the ones that were just now coming over from England Those Quakers were not meek and mild innocents who just wanted to talk. They were as righteous a group of zealots as most Puritans, and when they entered a Massachusetts town they tried to wreak maximum havoc: bursting into church services, yelling in the streets, banging pots and pans together, and even stripping off their clothes (to show their lack of attachment to worldly things).

The Puritans reacted with vehement rejection, and submitted Quakers who would not heed the warnings to leave and never return to terrible punishments. Boring holes through their tongues was just one of these.

The Quakers, then, were a radical and alarming people who went into New England with the express mission to destroy the Puritan way and introduce their own religious beliefs. They were just as feverishly devoted to Quakerism as the Puritans were fanatically devoted to Puritanism.

DO YOU KNOW HOW THEY GOT THE NAME “Quakers” because they would go into convulsive fits during their worship services.

Not to get into a debate and hijack the topic, never heard of this.

Here's the google search page o it, I even type Quaker Persecution of Puritans, as we see only hits for the opposite show.

Here's one such page.

https://ancestralfindings.com/quaker-persecutions-in-puritan-massachusetts/

https://www.google.com/search?ei=xt7UXLn1LemD_Qaz36SQBw&q=quakers+persecution+of+puritans&oq=quakers+prescutoion+of+purtains&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.33i22i10i29i30j33i10.1324.12920..15889...0.0..0.167.2933.4j20......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131i67j0i67j0j0i10j0i22i30j0i22i10i30j33i160j0i13j0i8i13i30j0i13i30j33i299j33i10i299.dSNlQouQn3w

Here's the one page you quoted ,

https://thehistoricpresent.com/2008/07/02/why-the-puritans-persecuted-quakers/

Ah not sure the Quakers made people flee Massachusetts, the Puritans did, like Roger Williams, and Anne Hutchinson come to mind off the top But anyway, an interesting topic this.

Air Force Brat

Here's the one page you quoted ,

https://thehistoricpresent.com/2008/07/02/why-the-puritans-phijackingersecuted-quakers/

Ah not sure the Quakers made people flee Massachusetts, the Puritans did, like Roger Williams, and Anne Hutchinson come to mind off the top But anyway, an interesting topic this.

This is an interesting subject, dont worry your not hijacking I love history. I really love finding out things we believe in turns out to be mostly lies.

Indeed there are quite few dedicated historians who have found this also to be true. And I cant speak for the masses but the story in my family is Thomas Jarvis came over on the Primrose 1650 or 1 or 2 landed in Boston made his way to Salem and left because of disturbances he said quakers as my family has told it over the years.

Now run out of town is probably to ambiguous a phrase, he probably saw one of their shake up the town antics and moved on to Long Island New York, which is where my grandfathers family settled, they found his will in 1732.

I wouldn't be surprised this version seems more accurate than Puritans leaving England for reasons of religious persecution suddenly for no reason persecuted Quakers for the same reason. Unlikely, they also have many records of Quakers seeking to come directly to Boston harbor for said conflict.

http://longislandgenealogy.com/Surname_Pages/jarvis.htm

WOW, That is an awesome piece. I'm glad to see others that collect paper, theres nothing like old documents especially from that time period. I have one from upstate New York dated 1770 its very fragile but talks in part about bequeathing part of his estate to a relative valued in schillings .

If you ever decide to let that go please contact me. Absolutely great find, I'd love to have that in my collection. Have you ever seen any others? It was my understanding the draft didnt start until 1862 and in NY I believe the link I posted were the first, as riots were still going on. I'm trying to find out when they started producing those notices. I dont think they did in the beginning, I thought I read initially all eligible men were to show up in the town square where the provost marshall chose on the spot. If thats true, yours might be one of the first official notices. hmmmmmm

Thank you for sharing that.

The Enrollment Act was passed 3 March 1863, which to my knowledge marked the first official draft and the one that led to the riots in the North.

I haven't seen more than a couple of these online, and mine also came with an older printed portrait of the man called up. This one has been to my classroom several times as a neat artifact to share when talking about the conflict. Since we've found no record of CW service for the man on the paper, it is a good springboard for discussion of substitution and exemption.

• 2 weeks later...
Air Force Brat

The Enrollment Act was passed 3 March 1863, which to my knowledge marked the first official draft and the one that led to the riots in the North.

I haven't seen more than a couple of these online, and mine also came with an older printed portrait of the man called up. This one has been to my classroom several times as a neat artifact to share when talking about the conflict. Since we've found no record of CW service for the man on the paper, it is a good springboard for discussion of substitution and exemption.

Woohoo Thank you for that info, I did a search for the month and year you posted because I hadn't been able to find exact dates before.. And it took me to a site that listed the stats.

Apparently the Confederates beat the north to the punch on the draft, you were off by a year.

So in April 1862, the Confederacy passed the Conscription Act"

Then it gave the Union's account,

The Federal government instituted its own draft a year later, in March 1863. The Enrollment Act called on men ages 20 to 45 to register for the draft. Under the Union draft act men faced the possibility of conscription in July 1863 and in Mar., July, and Dec. 1864. Draft riots ensued, notably in New York in 1863.

http://civilwarhome.com/conscription.html

That coincides exactly with the dates from my New York's Civil War newspapers link. So it looks like I Can document him being one of the first drafted in the Union July 1863. Hmmm I wonder if that's pertinent enough to increase the value. Maybe if I had what you have . lol

illinigander

Back to post #2, the 1863 New York City draft riots were terribly destructive with deaths and burned buildings. I don't think any Viet Nam draft disorders left people lynched on lamp posts.

can hold a candle to what happened in NYC in 1863.

Illinigander

skypilot6670

Back to post #2, the 1863 New York City draft riots were terribly destructive with deaths and burned buildings. I don't think any Viet Nam draft disorders left people lynched on lamp posts.

can hold a candle to what happened in NYC in 1863.

Illinigander

The NYC draft riot was brought on by the draft but soon turned into a race riot , Irish immigrants on Black Americans. There were 200 plus people killed and the best info I can find most ,if not all were black.I dont think these people were killed because of there position on the draft ,but rather because of there race (ie. black)

I don't know of anyone that was killed as a result of there position on the draft during the VietNam war. (Kent State comes to mind but that was more about the invasion of Cambodia)But as I said their was a lot of resistance to the draft during the Vietnam war and their was a lot of resistance to the draft during the Civil War.I think the numbers speak for themselves.

According to National Archives, among approximately 27 million American men eligible for military service between 1964 and 1973, the draft raised 2,215,000 men for military service (in the U.S., Southeast Asia, West Germany, and elsewhere). Around 15.4 million were granted deferments, mostly for education, some for mental, physical and family hardships. There were more than 300,000 deserters and draft evaders in total, in which 209,517 men illegally resisted the draft while some 100,000 deserted. Among them, around 30,000 immigrated to Canada during 1966-72.

Midtown the Micks attacked a German Women cause they found out her husband was a soldier in the Army down south. But that was just one instance that I read.