Piece of parachute to ID

nicolas75

nicolas75

Hello

I do own a large piece of white chute and i would like to know what period it is ?

I'm telling myslef maybe the pattern of one end will help up to ID it

Here is some close ups

Thanks

post-3574-0-72344900-1556973592_thumb.jpg

WWII Parachutist

This looks like it is off a standard 24' canopy. This was standard issue for a variety of nations around WWII. However, based on the construction details, this doesn't look US to me. Perhaps British?

• 4 weeks later...
SFTROOPER86

Hello,

This parachute reminant is Definately made in the USA! I attached 2 photos of a parachute remnant from the Normandy D-Day Drop. Picked up/cut up by the U.S. Paratrooper who jumped it. You can see thru these 2 photos the manufacture, materials, and sewing are identical.

Good Hunting,

Vince

post-6407-0-53410100-1559105112_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-10438200-1559105124_thumb.jpg

WWII Parachutist

Hello,

This parachute reminant is Definately made in the USA! I attached 2 photos of a parachute remnant from the Normandy D-Day Drop. Picked up/cut up by the U.S. Paratrooper who jumped it. You can see thru these 2 photos the manufacture, materials, and sewing are identical.

Good Hunting,

Vince

Yes, the canopy section you posted is US and looks to be from a 24' twill reserve. Beyond that, it doesn't match the what nicolas75 posted

though.

1)The upper lateral band is completely different. Notice yours has 4 rows of stitching (on the top "hem"), and has the 3,000lb tubular webbing reinforcement on the inside. The other one only has two rows of stitching, and a much thinner reinforcement tape.

2) Yours has the standard braided sheath/twisted cord inner, while the other one has a completely different braided weave in the lines.

3) Where the suspension lines are stitched, yours has the standard (US) zig-zag stitching length, while the other one has another full inch of zig-zag stitching.

Yes, the overall pattern is the same, but practically every country was using the same general pattern during the war. The differences lie in the construction details and weave of the material.