AFRTS Patches

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

AFRTS Patches

A museum Im associated with recently received a pair of USAF white, mens coveralls with interesting patches on them. The coveralls are a 1970 contract, (CMU-3/P) and have Senior Airman (E-4) rank insignia on each upper sleeve. It has a name tape (Wheeler) and the USAF name tape above the pockets. On the right breast pocket is an AFPN patch, (see photo) and on the back is another, with RADIO/ENGENERING on the top and bottom (See photo), the patch on the back is huge, 9 inches high and 11 inches wide.

As I found on the web: Armed Forces Radio and Television Service

A worldwide radio and television broadcasting organization that provides US military commanders overseas and at sea with sufficient electronic media resources to effectively communicate theater, local, Department of Defense, and Service-unique command information to their personnel and family members. Also called AFRTS.

I thought the AFPN patch might be Armed Forces Pacific Network, but I didnt find any internet hits for that. Anybody know for sure?

We thought they were pretty unusual!

Thanks for looking, comments welcome!

BKW

post-1549-0-80186200-1556936304.jpg

post-1549-0-82193900-1556936326_thumb.jpg

MORE

I think this is your answer

ARMED FORCES PHILIPPINES NETWORK (AFPN)

In 1965, the Philippines stations split from the FEN to form a new network, the AFPN.

Colour television broadcasts commenced in 1971.

In November 1974, the control of the AFPN Philippines radio and TV stations was combined with that of the AFTN, the Air Force's TV and radio network in Thailand and the US Navy's radio station in Taiwan, forming a new network equal in size to the FEN.

When the Thailand network closed down in May 1976, the AFPN once again became part of the Far East Network (FEN).

The Taiwan radio station became Armed Forces Network Radio Taiwan (AFNRT). On 16 April 1979, after it had been decommissioned when the US troops vacated the island, it became International Community Radio Taipei (ICRT).

(The contents of the radio station was left behind (despite Armed Forces regulations requiring that all material be destroyed) and placed into storage, including, it would seem, some episodes of Doctor Who... But see Taiwan Prints…))

https://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/Armed_Forces_Network#ARMED_FORCES_PHILIPPINES_NETWORK_.28AFPN.29

Brian Keith

Excellent Patchrat Thanks much! So it looks like AFPN Existed from about 1965-1976. These coveralls are dated 1970, so it fits the time frame exactly. We are trying to find out more of Airman Wheeler.

BKW