EBAY COLLECTION OF SALES TAX

I didnt change anything that I know of. I was told it just started for me on Nov 1st.

That's really odd. I live in WA and Ebay has been automatically collecting the tax on items I have sold and remitting it. It has never been sent to me directly. I never see it show up in the amount I receive.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If eBay makes selling so complicated with this crazy tax collection at all different percentages who’s going to want to do it?

eBay didn't create the tax changes, the government did. Every venue will be switching to it for states requiring online sales tax

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I just sold an item today on Ebay and this is what is happening. Before 11/1 Ebay never sent the Tax to the seller. Now The following is occurring if you use PAYPAL.

The Gross Amount of the Transaction sent to your PAYPAL account is the Selling Price + Shipping + TAX.

PAYPAL immediately AUTO DEDUCTS the PAYPAL FEE and the TAX and sends the tax back to EBAY.

You don't ever have the tax in your balance, but it does get sent to your account.

That would mean the GROSS AMOUNT ( Selling price + Shipping + TAX ) is what would be on the 1099 at the end of the year.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

I just purchased a 19th century Catholic confessional for the church I work at. It's was over 4500 bucks. eBay automatically took out the taxes(315.00), since the church is tax exempt we don't pay tax. I thought it would be a freaking big deal to get a refund. Easier then I thought. Just had to send in a form. But eBay doesn't tell you that they are taking the taxes. The invoice looked like the seller charged the tax. Nope eBay took the taxes she didn't even know about it. Seems not right to make it look like the seller collected the tax my 2 cents. Oh yeah this confessional was a pain in the rump to assemble. Posted Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I just purchased a 19th century Catholic confessional for the church I work at. It's was over 4500 bucks. eBay automatically took out the taxes(315.00), since the church is tax exempt we don't pay tax. I thought it would be a freaking big deal to get a refund. Easier then I thought. Just had to send in a form. But eBay doesn't tell you that they are taking the taxes. The invoice looked like the seller charged the tax. Nope eBay took the taxes she didn't even know about it. Seems not right to make it look like the seller collected the tax my 2 cents. Oh yeah this confessional was a pain in the rump to assemble. e7026f866d48eff2c0685b1502e1af2a.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

that's really nice.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Its stupid the way they collect the tax from PayPal, PayPal makes out better than anyone since they can get more service fee money since the percent is taken out of gross cost+tax

Check out my eBay page, I sell military insignia and just about anything else I come across

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/fitzkeemilitaria/m.html?item=223497878518&hash=item340982fbf6%3Ag%3ASs4AAOSw-llcxhqe&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Please check out my web page as well for more items for sale

https://fitzkeemilitaria.com/

Here is a question that I haven't seen addressed. Does eBay charge a fee on the taxes that are collected in the same way that the final fee, including shipping, is charged to a seller? Is there a monetary benefit for eBay to collect the taxes or is it an operating expense to them?

Every state gives the Tax Collector a percentage of the tax collected, as high as 3% depending on the state, eBay is going to make big $$$$$ off this.

https://www.ebay.com/str/worldwarpatches

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them!

https://www.worldwarpatches.com

We all hate eBay for many reasons but for some items I have to use it even if sale for me winds up little profit or last few years a loss after eBay and PP fees. But, Remember They created their web sites and can charge and regulate as they want.

MY SUGGESTION: Sell on and support the Forum related to the item. ie: U.S. - CANADIAN - SAMURAI SWORD, CARTRIDGES / RELOADERS , etc etc

Most all the Collectable, Historical and Military Items have a Forum. Richard

Wanted: WWI ID'ed USMC Green Wool Uniform and ANYTHING documented to my Dad's Iwo Jima outfit: 21st Marines 3rd Div.

Items marked "Marquet, Marquett, or Marquette"

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

2017-donor-medallion.gif

I just sold an item today on Ebay and this is what is happening. Before 11/1 Ebay never sent the Tax to the seller. Now The following is occurring if you use PAYPAL.

The Gross Amount of the Transaction sent to your PAYPAL account is the Selling Price + Shipping + TAX.

PAYPAL immediately AUTO DEDUCTS the PAYPAL FEE and the TAX and sends the tax back to EBAY.

You don't ever have the tax in your balance, but it does get sent to your account.

That would mean the GROSS AMOUNT ( Selling price + Shipping + TAX ) is what would be on the 1099 at the end of the year.

Kurt

Kurt, they always had a tax section on the 1099! Hopefully this tax collected will just appear under the tax section so when your taxes are done it will just be already on there making It much easier to do the taxes instead of going transaction for transaction to find the numbers!

Please Remember the Following Service Members who have passed on!

Manley S Webb- 1925-2006 US Navy WW2

James W Boutilier - 1921-1983 US Navy Seabees WW2

Russell W Haight - 1876-1953 Spanish American War, Cuban Pacification, Mexican Border War NYNG

Lt Colonel William H Warren 1921-2014 USAF

Hmmm...all this makes me realize how pissed off the "original" Tea Party must have been when they were throwing all the good Kings tea into the harbor. We are freakin' taxed to death and it's only going to get worse my friends...only going to get worse. 23+ trillion in debt with billions being added each day. I guess they think taxing a $5 patch on Ebay is going to fix everything!! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm...all this makes me realize how pissed off the "original" Tea Party must have been when they were throwing all the good Kings tea into the harbor. We are freakin' taxed to death and it's only going to get worse my friends...only going to get worse. 23+ trillion in debt with billions being added each day. I guess they think taxing a $5 patch on Ebay is going to fix everything!! :rolleyes:

We are taxed to death already in CT. Now this also.

Tax is not a Federal tax. These new taxes are based on YOUR state-- where the item is shipped.

Scott

• 1 month later...

It was just a matter of time next they will tax air.

Capture.JPG

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

I want mine air delivered.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Nix the Paypal. When you don't feel like getting ripped off for (fill in the blank for your tolerance limit of what you're willing to get gouged) pay your ebay seller directly by mail, with a postage stamp and a cashier's check or money order for the cost of the item and the shipping. Seller marks the item paid when your check clears and mails you the goods. Everybody THAT MATTERS (e.g. the buyer and seller) is happy, and the insanity and tyranny of charging We the People a gouge tax to buy second hand old stuff from another private party, non-corporate, non-big box, mom and pop seller in another state a continent away stops, at least until they come up with a work-around which will be at least a few years away.

You're welcome.

Nix the Paypal. When you don't feel like getting ripped off for (fill in the blank for your tolerance limit of what you're willing to get gouged) pay your ebay seller directly by mail, with a postage stamp and a cashier's check or money order for the cost of the item and the shipping. Seller marks the item paid when your check clears and mails you the goods. Everybody THAT MATTERS (e.g. the buyer and seller) is happy, and the insanity and tyranny of charging We the People a gouge tax to buy second hand old stuff from another private party, non-corporate, non-big box, mom and pop seller in another state a continent away stops, at least until they come up with a work-around which will be at least a few years away.

You're welcome.

Until the seller pockets the money, claims they never received any letters, and files a non-paying bidder claim

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Until the seller pockets the money, claims they never received any letters, and files a non-paying bidder claim

Haven't had that happen. Not sure how many people would like to commit federal postal fraud, which is what the scenario you present, would be, and not tough to prove with the cashed money order or cashier's check. One can always send the check with delivery confirmation.. To the contrary, what I said has been working out just fine, and I submit it would since the majority of ebay sellers are not flat out crooks and fraudsters. Before bidding through the ebay message system, I confirm that the seller will accept payment by cashiers check or postal money order for the purchase price and shipping, if I win the auction. So you have the ebay message system with them confirming they will accept payment by mail, as far as the scenario you suggest. In fact, some of the private mom and pop sellers have told me they are not equipped to pay sales tax to other states and said DON'T remit it to them. By all means though, pay however you'd like.

Haven't had that happen. Not sure how many people would like to commit federal postal fraud, which is what the scenario you present, would be, and not tough to prove with the cashed money order or cashier's check. One can always send the check with delivery confirmation.. To the contrary, what I said has been working out just fine, and I submit it would since the majority of ebay sellers are not flat out crooks and fraudsters. Before bidding through the ebay message system, I confirm that the seller will accept payment by cashiers check or postal money order for the purchase price and shipping, if I win the auction. So you have the ebay message system with them confirming they will accept payment by mail, as far as the scenario you suggest. In fact, some of the private mom and pop sellers have told me they are not equipped to pay sales tax to other states and said DON'T remit it to them. By all means though, pay however you'd like.

If they're willing to commit tax fraud, why not mail fraud?

Sending it delivery confirmation often costs as much, if not more, than the taxes on small items

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Tax fraud? Federal or state and how so?

Nevermind, forgot we steered off the tax topic into PayPal fee topic...

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.