• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

EBAY COLLECTION OF SALES TAX

won several items on sunday, every damned one of them had sales tax attached and nary a one was out of TX. and as far as i know only one was an actual shop.

i'm less than pleased

It doesn't matter where the seller is located or if they have a brick & mortar store. What decides whether you pay sales tax or not is the state you live in.

Mike B. in 'Bama

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

However, eBay is largely not retail transactions, like take place in online stores. These are - in my experience - two individuals involved in the exchange of an item, like would happen at a yard sale. So, they are taxing a different type of transaction to make up for the one they feel they lost?

As I said in a prior post, are we going to send IRS agents to community garage sales next?

I have heard of this very thing being discussed in some Virginia localities, although I cant say how much steam the effort had.....a yard sale tax.

My .02: How many times do you pay tax on an item...? Every time its sold....?

If you have a booth at an antique mall, its more like or actually is a legitimate business, so I can see the logic behind it. But if you merely sell an item or two here and there with no regularity, or have a garage sale maybe once a year, I dont think thats the governments business.

donation2011.gifdonation2018.gif

Gonna sound a little ironic, but reduce taxes in the state to attract online businesses to setup operations there. It brings jobs, property taxes, etc, etc, if we are talking about RETAIL commerce.

However, eBay is largely not retail transactions, like take place in online stores. These are - in my experience - two individuals involved in the exchange of an item, like would happen at a yard sale. So, they are taxing a different type of transaction to make up for the one they feel they lost?

As I said in a prior post, are we going to send IRS agents to community garage sales next?

Anyhow, moving on, it is what it is...

Here in my state they do want tax collected at garage sales/yard sales.My sister and brother in law run a tax/book keeping service here.Basically a local office for a "group" that has clients mainly in agriculture/farming industry.They manage accounts do books aand offer general tax consulting etc. They both have to take continuing classes on tax law to stay certified etc.One class my sister attended was put on by a lady from the state level of revenue.The question came up about personal sales which broke down into "garage sales". The lady stated that all residents can do one sale per year and not report the income from sales to the state(according to law)....after that ALL other sales by the individual should be reported as taxable income.The lady went on to admit that there is no way the state can enforce this income to be reported as there is not enough state employees to watch or investigate the sales.She added when traveling across the state while working she sees these "city wide" garage sales and she just cringes...they know very well people do sales all summer long every week and there is no way to enforce the tax law.

Our city here even tries to crack down on those who do garage sales every weekend.I never realized there was an issue or an ordinance they enforced until a person I know had two sales with in a month and got a vist from the local PD....I think his neighbor reported him as I had never heard it being a issue before.

I also hear from various vendors that do trade shows,larger flea markets etc and they say more and more there are state or federal revenue officers that are coming to the shows to check if the sellers/vendors have tax permits and are collecting taxes on sales.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

It doesn't matter where the seller is, it's whether or not the buyer's registered location requires tax

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

From what little I know. The general distinction between ebay sales and garage sales is capital gains. The majority of items being sold at a garage sale are valued way less then they were bought for. Ebay items turn a profit, unless your me :wacko: Not that I'm happy about this, as it has put the breaks on me buying. I do wonder how the collecting market will respond?

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

now a question-------------- sure as the buyer you are paying sales tax but what about income tax on the seller?? do you now also have to claim the income on all the items you sold on ebay??? as many others I have cut way down on my buying habits on ebay thanks to tax. and consider very highly cutting it out all together for there are many site in which to buy military with no tax.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2017.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2018.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_12_2018/post-2-0-82042400-1545944020.gifdonation2020.gif

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2007.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2008.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2009.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2010.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2011.gif

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2012.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2013.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2014.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2015.gifhttp://www.usmilitariaforum.com/usmfribbons/donation2016.gif

What person that sells on Ebay, doesn't claim the sales on their taxes?

You have had to claim your sales for years as Ebay sends you a W2 at the end of the year with your totals.

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

I believe eBay only sends you a W2 if you bring in more than a certain amount...no idea what it is now, but last I checked (admittedly, years and years ago), it was $800.

I have never received a W2 from eBay. But, yes, you are supposed to claim it on your taxes

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

It’s actually PayPal that issued a 1099 if you had more than 200 payments and 20K in sales.

EBay is now going to “managed payments” soon cutting out PayPal and EBay will send the 1099 in the future.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

if i, who lives in Europe buy something on ebay.com (USA), i will i have to pay a sales taxe ?

also, would i pay taxes if i buy at a dealer online ?

looking for Vietnamese CSDC/NPFF wartime color slides to finish a publication

looking for Khmer FANK militaria

if i, who lives in Europe buy something on ebay.com (USA), i will i have to pay a sales taxe ?

also, would i pay taxes if i buy at a dealer online ?

Its based on where you live.

When I buy something from Europe I get charged sales tax.

I just sold something to a person in Canada and Ebay did not charge them sales tax.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

Its based on where you live.

When I buy something from Europe I get charged sales tax.

I just sold something to a person in Canada and Ebay did not charge them sales tax.

Kurt

up to now i pay import taxes if the parcel who comes from the USA goes through the customs here in Germany, thats already enough

looking for Vietnamese CSDC/NPFF wartime color slides to finish a publication

looking for Khmer FANK militaria

Posted on my main Ebay page today.

As you may be aware, 11 new states have adopted Internet Sales Tax policies as of October 1, bringing the total to 34 states that now require the collection of sales tax. As the impact of this tax law becomes more apparent, PayPal and eBay are making changes that will make Internet Sales Tax collection less complex for buyers and for you.

Starting in November 2019, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:

• In states where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.

• Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.

• A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Order details page and through our Download order report.

Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action.

We understand that the holiday selling season is nearly upon us and we are working to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Learn more about Internet Sales Tax in the Ebay seller center. If you have questions about how Internet Sales Tax may affect you, we recommend consulting with your tax advisor, or our partners..

Note: These changes do not apply to sellers in managed pages

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Posted on my main Ebay page today.

As you may be aware, 11 new states have adopted Internet Sales Tax policies as of October 1, bringing the total to 34 states that now require the collection of sales tax. As the impact of this tax law becomes more apparent, PayPal and eBay are making changes that will make Internet Sales Tax collection less complex for buyers and for you.

Starting in November 2019, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:

• In states where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.

• Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.

• A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Order details page and through our Download order report.

Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action.

We understand that the holiday selling season is nearly upon us and we are working to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Learn more about Internet Sales Tax in the Ebay seller center. If you have questions about how Internet Sales Tax may affect you, we recommend consulting with your tax advisor, or our partners..

Note: These changes do not apply to sellers in managed pages

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

thank you for posting this Bob.

dave

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a question that I haven't seen addressed. Does eBay charge a fee on the taxes that are collected in the same way that the final fee, including shipping, is charged to a seller? Is there a monetary benefit for eBay to collect the taxes or is it an operating expense to them?

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

If eBay is double dipping on the tax that means the seller is paying part of the tax.

Perhaps sellers can take advantage of the handling fee and cover these extra costs.

From a sellers perspective, it must be nice to have eBay handle all that?

donation2013.gif

As of a few days ago, eBay has been sending me the sales taxes collected on all the items I have sold. I called them and asked what Im supposed to do with it, and they told me they would deduct it out of my PayPal each month similar to eBay fees. So thats new.

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

As of a few days ago, eBay has been sending me the sales taxes collected on all the items I have sold. I called them and asked what Im supposed to do with it, and they told me they would deduct it out of my PayPal each month similar to eBay fees. So thats new.

Saw that yesterday...but they automatically deduct it from the PayPal...I "received" an amount higher than it should have been with shipping, and when I checked PayPal it was already tagged as an eBay tax deduction from the total I actually received

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Are you doing " Managed Payments" ? I am holding off as long as I can on that.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.