WWII Tobacco Pipe Makers and Styles and Modern Equivalents

McDermut99

McDermut99

I've been doing some research into what makers and styles of tobacco pipes were available and commonly used by soldiers during WWII for my reenactment impression. Using this information I've been trying to find a modern maker and/or style that is equivalent to the 1940's. So far reading through the thread below I've gathered a common basic style of pipe to look for, as well as some names like Frank Medico, Lord Davenport, Briar, and Brighton.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/231939-tobacco-pipes-in-the-military/?hl=%20tobacco%20%20pipe

I was wondering for those reenactors who chose to smoke a pipe as part of their impression, what modern (or vintage for that matter) pipe brands or styles have you used and what are your thoughts on them? This seems to be something not yet discussed as thoroughly as opposed to the different brands of pipe tobacco available and used during the war.

Any comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I do a corn cob pipe from Missouri meerschaum mainly because its a cheap and good pipe and corn cob makes the tobacco taste a little sweeter. I know MacArthur used that particular brand in his iconic photos, but i am curious about regular soldiers using the corncob style pipes

My Dad smoked a pipe in Italy, have them boxed up, have to seeif I can dig them out. Have pics of him with pipe too, think Son has those?

McDermut99

I do a corn cob pipe from Missouri meerschaum mainly because its a cheap and good pipe and corn cob makes the tobacco taste a little sweeter. I know MacArthur used that particular brand in his iconic photos, but i am curious about regular soldiers using the corncob style pipes

I've seen a couple period photos of them being used, but it doesn't seem like it was a common occurrence.

Dr. Grabow i just researched was definitely the common brand US Soldiers would have used if they privately purchased a pipe. As for the tobacco of choice, it was Prince Albert and or Half and Half as those brands of tobacco dated back to the 19th century and would have been readily available in almost every drug store in the 1930s/40s