WWI Experimental Fords Model 8 Recently Found

Painted Lid

Painted Lid

Hi Folks.

A buddy of mine found this recently in a deceased family members garage. I am totally new to this sort of thing so please bear with me if I am wrong assuming it is a model 8.

That being said ........ Am I correct in assuming it is indeed a model 8? If so , any and all info would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Painted Lid.

fu7ARh0.jpg?1

Av61apb.jpg?1

Nickman983

I'll let someone else with more knowledge chime in on the authenticity, but it sure looks like a Model 8. From what I've read only about 1300 were produced

Painted Lid

Thanks for the response Nickman983,

It seems to have genuine age to it , but I am completely new to helmets so pretty close to all guesswork at the moment from me. Just the little bit of info found on the internet has me thinking it is a model 8. The liner has a lot of deteriation from age. The leather is just about non-existant. One strap is all but gone. The other one has a small buckle and I think a patent date on it , but hard for me to read. That being said , it leaves me to believe it is genuinely old , but lots of things are genuinely old or have been made to look as such.

Thanks again,

Painted Lid

Painted Lid

Thanks Wake1941,

I am starting to get a bit excited about this find. I am new to the forum and was just browsing a section I found here that is WWI Experimental Helmet reference. It has a thread on the model 8. It really does look like the ones posted there. Question is , are there any reproduction or fakes out there of this model? If so , how can a repro be spotted from an original?

Painted Lid

Painted Lid

There are reproductions, but they're nowhere close to being potentially mistaken for an original.

Thank you,

That is good to know.

Another question , in one of the responses forum member Nickman mentioned thinking that original production of the model 8 was around 1300. Are there any estimates out there on how many actually have been found?

Painted Lid

Nickman983

I would imagine there are at least some reproductions/fakes, especially since there were so few that were made. I would wait for some others to chime in before being certain that it's authentic. Any idea how your friends family member ended up with this helmet? Knowing some of the history behind where this helmet originated from could help authenticate it

Painted Lid

I would imagine there are at least some reproductions/fakes, especially since there were so few that were made. I would wait for some others to chime in before being certain that it's authentic. Any idea how your friends family member ended up with this helmet? Knowing some of the history behind where this helmet originated from could help authenticate it

Nickman983,

I can tell you it was found in Castalia Ohio , but how it ended up in that garage my buddy didn't know. I was just glad he had a eye for something unique and knew to bring it home. Sorry , but that is probably all the history to it , but I will check with him for any more possible details.

Painted Lid

Painted Lid

There were 1,535 made and all but 3 went immediately into storage.

Sounds like a good chance that the majority of them are still out there then I would think.

Painted Lid

great find and worth some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. they are rare prototypes that were never used in actual combat. even with the missing pad and broken chin strap still a great find.

Nickman983,

I can tell you it was found in Castalia Ohio , but how it ended up in that garage my buddy didn't know.

It's crazy how things end up where they do. I had a guy who was cleaning out his garage and rediscovered 2 LINCLOE titanium experimental M-1's. He contacted me and wanted to know if I was interested in them. He said he found them years ago while cleaning out a storage area at his work place. The rest of the story is lost to history.

This model 8 is a great find with a story it ain't sharing. :)

gravecreek

I saw someone at the Mansfield Ohio Collectors show yesterday carrying a helmet just like this. He said it was found in a garage and was about ready to be tossed out. Said it was for sale. Was that you " Painted Lid "? Looked legit to me. I was glad to see it.

Painted Lid

I saw someone at the Mansfield Ohio Collectors show yesterday carrying a helmet just like this. He said it was found in a garage and was about ready to be tossed out. Said it was for sale. Was that you " Painted Lid "? Looked legit to me. I was glad to see it.

Yes that was me. I was very glad that my buddy had a good eye to save it. It will now have a chance to be in a collectors hands where it will be appreciated. Glad you enjoyed seeing it. There sure was a lot of interest in it.

Painted Lid

USMC-RECON0321

Yes that was me. I was very glad that my buddy had a good eye to save it. It will now have a chance to be in a collectors hands where it will be appreciated. Glad you enjoyed seeing it. There sure was a lot of interest in it.

Painted Lid

That is a large show. What did the collectors / dealers have to say that inspected it in hand at the show? I would think they would've been able to answer your concerns one way or the other?

since you have received some expert advice, dont let anybody try to tell you it's not worth much or try and low ball you into selling it

the guys at the show probably did the old it's not worth much routine or it's only worth how much a person would pay, or the market is slow right now so I can only give you a couple hundred bucks, or tell you it's just an old WW2 flak helmet for bomber crews, etc, dont let them fool you.