River Division 511 patch on eBay

tarbridge

I would not trust this style of patches, they have been forcibly distressed to make them have an aged look. The perpetrators of this thought a patche had to be dirty to be real...mostly tea stained.

MilitaryPicker1941

This patch is being sold by me and I have no reason to believe it’s fake. It came with many other 100% original patches and the construction of this one matches others of the time period. Not sure what caused the stainning on the back of it

MilitaryPicker1941

Heres the back of other patches that came in the lot. As you can see the condition varies from dirty to near mint.

post-111785-0-89093400-1556897100_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the input Tarbridge... same info my Dad gave me!

I used some photo references in some books and noted there were too many areas of variation for me as well...

Although there are variations in the patches from one to the other, I think I'll steer clear and keep looking.

Jeff

tarbridge

Heres a link to one thats almost identical minus a different backing: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/264327-river-division-511-patch-real-or-what/

Really not sure why its authenticity is being question when it shows clear signs of being a wartime produced Japanese made patch

MilitaryPicker41...I'm having the patche vetted and will see what they say...I will definitely retract and apologize if I have made a mistake.

vintageproductions

I think the patch is real.

What looks like fake staining looks like a mixture of the glue and nicotine. If more then one piece in this group looks like this I would bet the person who originally owned this group was a heavy smoker.

Easy to soak out the nicotine staining and I probably would have done that before I ever offered them for sale, that way there would be no confusion.

Japanese made.

Easy to think the patch is bad from the way the scan appears.

tarbridge

I retract my opinion concerning the patche not being real and I apologize for the confusion I caused in the matter.Robert

In defense of Robert my first impression of the first patch that was shown was that it had been artificially aged.

In addition to exposure to smoking and nicotine, I also wonder what these were glued to. A lot of paper and cardboard are full of acid.

Any idea if these were displayed in the open, on a board or open frame? For this much staining from smoke, it almost suggests they were on display at a veteran's bar or similar environment.

MilitaryPicker1941

This is what they were glued to before the seller removed the patches. If you look through some of the patches I already sold from the lot you can see how some are in used/dirty condition while others are near mint. My guess is that the staining occurred before being glued to the poster board.

post-111785-0-71850800-1556982873_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for sharing that. The board does not look at all discolored. I agree, the staining must have occurred elsewhere.

It is hard enough to sort the good from bad when it comes to Vietnam era items; this has been an interesting twist that I will add to my notebook. Thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion.