A.E. Co or American Emblem Co of Utica, NY: examples and patterns

Here is a recent pick up. The wing was manufactured by the American Emblem Company who we as collectors refer to as "A.E. Co." At first glance, the wing lacks a certain amount of detail that might give one pause. After all, we collectors really like our wing strikes to be rather crisp. AE Co. was NOTORIOUS for lacking the detail that we find in other wings.

Another detail that I find interesting in AE aviation badges is that invariably, you will see a number of "knocks" to the wings near the shield. These marks are raised, leading me to believe that the dies received small gouges, most likely during the production process. It seems that you can find these knocks on just about any AE manufactured wing.

Allan

post-151-0-70115100-1556880137_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-85145800-1556880149_thumb.jpg

One thing about the AE Co Glider Pilot wing is that it really isn't encountered all that often. I had quite a time finding any that were posted here to the wing forum, but good ol' Rustywings helped me out when he posted four different examples of AE Co lettered wings. See the link below.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/240295-aeco-letter-wings/

I've taken the liberty of reposting the photos of his wings here.

post-151-0-07798300-1556881078.jpg

Here is the back side of Rustywings' AE Wings. Note that on these clutch back examples, that the "knocks" to the wing on the back side are in the exact same location as the pin back example that I posted above. It can be concluded that it didn't matter whether the AE wing came with clutch prongs or a pin; they came out of the same dies.

I hope that you all have found this revelation as interesting as I have.

Allan

post-151-0-34978100-1556881314.jpg

Thanks for the reminder about your OUTSTANDING website Bob! Wing collectors should be spending lots of time there!

Allan

Really nice wing! I just picked up one of the clutchback versions; thanks for the info about them.

• 3 years later...

Picked up this 2-Inch wing recently. I don't recall seeing an A.E CO. hallmarked wing in this pattern or size. Has anyone else? If so, what other ratings do you have or have you seen? Hallmarks are raised...

IMG_5877.jpg

IMG_5881.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Lots of WW1 & WW2 history here in Central NY.  My dad and all of my friends' dads also went to War from around here. When I was a kid there was so much to be collected militaria wise, around here between Albany and Syracuse.

That is a very cool 2" wing, Jeff.  I don't recall seeing an A.E. Co mark exactly like that in the past either.  Thanks for sharing it.

I figure I'll throw images of this desk-top AE piece here. Picked this up near Dayton, Ohio last year. 

The building image in silver on the face is from the same angle as in 'rathbonemuseum.com' post.

AmEmblem (1).jpg

AmEmblem (2).jpg

AmEmblem (3).jpg

15 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Lots of WW1 & WW2 history here in Central NY.  My dad and all of my friends' dads also went to War from around here. When I was a kid there was so much to be collected militaria wise, around here between Albany and Syracuse.

Born and raised in Utica.  It's been 40 years since moving out here to California.  I know roughly where they were located.  My Dad, uncles, friends dads and lots of neighbors were WWII vets.  There was lots of stuff just in out attic and basement.  I saved some of it but have no idea what happened to the rest.  I can only imagine what was tucked away in all the other vets houses.   Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.  

Mikie

Mikie