A.E. Co or American Emblem Co of Utica, NY: examples and patterns

I picked up these nice 3" air crew wings recently, and was wondering if it was a rare maker or any info on them would be great, I would like to sell them and want to list them with all the info.what would be a fair price for these? .they are marked on the back....sterling A.E.CO. Utica N.Y...thanks.....mike

post-350-1224639924.jpg

post-350-1224640049.jpg

• 9 months later...
jcastellanos4

I am welcoming any opinions on these 3" Navigator Wings. I was told they were made by AE Co. Utica NY, and by looking at the wing pattern I would have to agree but I am a novice at collecting. No maker's mark.. STERLING is raised. I included one of my AE Co. pilot wings for comparison in one of the photos. Can anyone with more experience identify the maker of these wings.. and are they legit? Thanks guys!

post-5901-1249696577.jpg

jcastellanos4
I am welcoming any opinions on these 3" Navigator Wings. I was told they were made by AE Co. Utica NY, and by looking at the wing pattern I would have to agree but I am a novice at collecting. No maker's mark.. STERLING is raised. I included one of my AE Co. pilot wings for comparison in one of the photos. Can anyone with more experience identify the maker of these wings.. and are they legit? Thanks guys!

post-5901-1249697326.jpg

Your wing is an A.E. Co. piece, probably defaced to fulfill a government contract order. Their wings were not particularly attractive when compared to some of the others, but the detail of their navigator device is one of the top 2 or 3 in terms of sharp, clear detail.

Paul S

The wing is not defaced, you can see A.E. Co. following the circle of the globe over the STERLING mark. Nice period piece!

jcastellanos4
The wing is not defaced, you can see A.E. Co. following the circle of the globe over the STERLING mark. Nice period piece!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.. How'd I miss that??? Where's my magnifying glass when I need it :blink:

Here are a couple of A.E.Co. Navigators, one marked like this thread starter and the other looks like it might have been a triangle mark that was mostly defaced. I seem to recall seeing another one being defaced along the upper circumference in a similar manner.

post-3515-1249851185.jpg

jcastellanos4
Here is a problem...what would you do?

I don't think I would hesitate to take a peek at the reverse of the wing.. there may have been some long lost variation of the AE Co. maker's mark, ONE-OF-A-KIND. :think: ok .. maybe I would hesitate.

• 1 year later...
Harrythepicker

This set of pilot wings have a peacock green tone on them but the camera did not capture it. These wings are heavy with a generous amount of sterling silver. Are these wings pre war? Thanks for any help........Harry C

post-10695-1310086736.jpg

John Cooper

I do not feel it is pre-war but it is a very nice wing that was IMHO made earlier in the war. (my gut feeling)

John

• 2 months later...

I wanted to share this very nice example of a jeweler customized Liasion wing. Please take a clase look and the fittings and the hand made L. I found this to be very nice indeed.

Cheers

John

post-227-1316210307.jpg

post-227-1316210320.jpg

Unique Liaison Pilot badge John! I especially like the WWI era pin and lever catch replacements. It has a real "been there" feel to it.

Very nice wing John. I have an A.E. Co Bombardier with that same pin attached but a different catch. Clearly a war time replacement on both your wing and mine. Interesting variation from the typical A.E. clutch backs.

aebombardierlgftlg.jpg

aebombardierlrgbcklrg.jpg

Thanks for the coments guys and the photos of another interesting replacement fitting. Not sure how many of you may be interesting but I will post a seperate thread for everyone to post their L wings to include variations to see how many we can put together.

Cheers

John

• 7 months later...