Allan H.

WWII A.E. Co. Glider Pilot Wing

Here is a recent pick up. The wing was manufactured by the American Emblem Company who we as collectors refer to as "A.E. Co." At first glance, the wing lacks a certain amount of detail that might give one pause. After all, we collectors really like our wing strikes to be rather crisp. AE Co. was NOTORIOUS for lacking the detail that we find in other wings.

Another detail that I find interesting in AE aviation badges is that invariably, you will see a number of "knocks" to the wings near the shield. These marks are raised, leading me to believe that the dies received small gouges, most likely during the production process. It seems that you can find these knocks on just about any AE manufactured wing.

Allan

post-151-0-70115100-1556880137_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-85145800-1556880149_thumb.jpg

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

One thing about the AE Co Glider Pilot wing is that it really isn't encountered all that often. I had quite a time finding any that were posted here to the wing forum, but good ol' Rustywings helped me out when he posted four different examples of AE Co lettered wings. See the link below.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/240295-aeco-letter-wings/

I've taken the liberty of reposting the photos of his wings here.

post-151-0-07798300-1556881078.jpg

donation2007.gif

Here is the back side of Rustywings' AE Wings. Note that on these clutch back examples, that the "knocks" to the wing on the back side are in the exact same location as the pin back example that I posted above. It can be concluded that it didn't matter whether the AE wing came with clutch prongs or a pin; they came out of the same dies.

I hope that you all have found this revelation as interesting as I have.

Allan

post-151-0-34978100-1556881314.jpg

donation2007.gif

Fine wings indeed.

Congrats on your recent addition Allan...

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2020.gif

Nice! These are on my list of glider items to find. Thanks for posting.

Looking for anything related to WWII ETO gliders and pilots, uniforms, photos, etc. I am also looking for 8th AF B-17 crew uniforms and gear.

Thanks for the reminder about your OUTSTANDING website Bob! Wing collectors should be spending lots of time there!

Allan

donation2007.gif

Allan

Great wing.Always like the AE CO Glier pilots wings.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Really nice wing! I just picked up one of the clutchback versions; thanks for the info about them.