Remington-Rand M1911A1, 1943 Manufacture

VMI88

I signed up for the recent CMP lottery for M1911 pistols but was disappointed to get a high number. Last weekend though, things looked a lot better when a friend offered me this M1911A1 for less than the cost of a CMP Service grade!

post-265-0-87764400-1556846863_thumb.jpgpost-265-0-91919600-1556846937_thumb.jpg

According to the serial number the frame was manufactured in 1943. I'm no expert on M1911s but from what I've been able to learn online all the major parts are correct. The slide has the Type 3 markings consistent with the serial number (1034XXX), but it would be one of the earliest Type 3s. The finish is consistent throughout and to my eye looks like the original dark Remington-Rand parkerizing.

post-265-0-73113700-1556847023_thumb.jpgpost-265-0-08716400-1556847060_thumb.jpg

The barrel is marked "HS" for High Standard. The mainspring housing is checkered, and from what I've read online are sometimes seen in early Type 3 Remington-Rands. The hammer is also checkered but the slide stop is serrated. The grips are manufactured by Keyes and are the later type with reinforcing rings.

Overall it's a great looking pistol with honest wear. I'd appreciate any information from the forum M1911 experts as to the originality of the parts and finish.

post-265-0-15982000-1556847589_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-32984300-1556847612_thumb.jpg

By the way, it came with an "R" marked magazine. Risdon was one of the suppliers to Remington-Rand so the magazine is correct.

post-265-0-48841400-1556847876_thumb.jpg

Out of curiosity how much are the CMP pistols selling for.

$1050 for the service grade (which most of the current batch seem to be) plus whatever your FFL charges for the transfer.

I own 1035XXX. General Shaver magazine; ribbed main spring housing; checkered slide release;; checkered safety; checkered hammer spur; HS barrel. Grips are correct replacements as it came with WW1 double diamond stocks. Now has Keyes plastic. Came with the M3 holster and was from the son of the vet. I believe it to be as issued except for the grips. Hope this helps.

rr1.jpg

rr2.jpg

GIl Sanow

Interesting. I got my 'unserviceable' Remington-Rand 1911A1 in 1963 from the DCM. It had a cracked grip and no magazine. Grips and mags cost $3.00 each at a nearby gunshow. Cost of the pistol was $17.00!!

G

I own 1035XXX. General Shaver magazine; ribbed main spring housing; checkered slide release;; checkered safety; checkered hammer spur; HS barrel. Grips are correct replacements as it came with WW1 double diamond stocks. Now has Keyes plastic. Came with the M3 holster and was from the son of the vet. I believe it to be as issued except for the grips. Hope this helps.

Keith,

Great looking pistol - thanks for posting it! It's only about 1,000 or so digits off from mine, and it looks like the only differences are the mainspring housing and slide stop. From what I've read it's not at all unusual for these early Type 3 pistols to come with a variety of early or late pattern parts, just whatever happened to be available when they were assembling the pistol. Your finish looks very similar to mine too.

I wonder when your grips were changed? It could easily have been done by the original owner while he was in the service just because he liked them better.

Keith,

Great looking pistol - thanks for posting it! It's only about 1,000 or so digits off from mine, and it looks like the only differences are the mainspring housing and slide stop. From what I've read it's not at all unusual for these early Type 3 pistols to come with a variety of early or late pattern parts, just whatever happened to be available when they were assembling the pistol. Your finish looks very similar to mine too.

I wonder when your grips were changed? It could easily have been done by the original owner while he was in the service just because he liked them better.

Since the WW1 double diamond wood grips are worth much more than the plastic I don't think they were installed anytime recent and I would suspect during the War, since as you said, he may have like the feel of the wood better. When I found it the wood WW1 grips were still on it and the only reason they were is that the screw bushing had unscrewed from the frame. I am not an expert by any means on these, but I have read when one manufacturer of military firearms ran out of a particular part they were supplied with the needed parts from any of the other makers. So I would not discount the checkered main spring as not being the original part to the gun. The slide stop could have been mixed up with another man's gun during cleaning. Regardless, you got a super buy on yours. Good going. keith

Brian Dentino

Beautiful pistol! One of these (don't care about the maker) is on my "must have" list for my collection someday. That and a M1 Carbine and I would be a happy boy!

I believe your pistol would have been shipped with a General Shaver mag. In any event, its a nice WW2 mag!